How to dose baking soda in DT

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to add some baking soda to DT for ALK. My current number is 8.0 DKH, and the tank is using 0.1 daily so far. Calcium is fine and doesn’t need any supplemental help currently. Calculator says to add 1.1 tsp to get to 8.2 DKH. Question is should I add this through several doses, or all at once. Would this amount concern you about lowering PH?

I want to keep ALK around 8.2, and will start dosing daily to keep the number there. Thanks for any help!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with one dose for that amount. Just pour it slowly in a high flow area, like the return pump section, or in front of a powerhead. Mix the baking soda with RODI before adding, making sure it is fully dissolved before dosing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest dissolving 1 1/8 cups of baking soda in a gallon of RO/DI and use the calculator to add the correct amount of alk solution. You Will be more accurate in adding a larger amount of liquid then 1.1 tsp of powder.

I typically use THIS calculator, and pick Randy's Recipe 2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mydoghasfleas

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with one dose for that amount. Just pour it slowly in a high flow area, like the return pump section, or in front of a powerhead. Mix the baking soda with RODI before adding, making sure it is fully dissolved before dosing.

Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back