How to Drill your aquarium and install a Shadow Overflow

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just won one in a raffle.. now all I need is my new tank.. can't wait to get this going..

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently drilled a new tank with trim, I can share one tip: watch out for glass sludge getting stuck up under the trim. Might be a good idea to mask it off so it doesn't happen. I didn't notice it on mine until after I'd painted the back, so then I had to ruin my paint job to flush out the sludge. I also found that while not critical, it helps to clamp a backer block of scrap wood under the glass. Just a little extra support against chip out. I guess that's two tips!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently drilled a new tank with trim, I can share one tip: watch out for glass sludge getting stuck up under the trim. Might be a good idea to mask it off so it doesn't happen. I didn't notice it on mine until after I'd painted the back, so then I had to ruin my paint job to flush out the sludge. I also found that while not critical, it helps to clamp a backer block of scrap wood under the glass. Just a little extra support against chip out. I guess that's two tips!

Great tips @don_chuwish

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 random question. Would it be possible to get the drill template for the shadow overflow box? I plan on going that route, but wanted to make sure I don't break the glass before spending the money on an overflow that I could potentially end up not being able to use.

thanks!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 random question. Would it be possible to get the drill template for the shadow overflow box? I plan on going that route, but wanted to make sure I don't break the glass before spending the money on an overflow that I could potentially end up not being able to use.

thanks!

@saltnewb you can download it free from our website http://www.synergyreef.com/Manuals/Synergy_Reef_Drilling_Template_16_Shadow.pdf and make one

or if you want the physical one we make they are $5 plus shipping. Just email us.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 Not sure if it matters, but the red line for the water line is 1/16" short of 1". I know it is practically nothing, but thought you would like to know, in case it was super important.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that PDF template, I had to use it drilling my new tank because I couldn't find the original that came with my 2nd generation "Synergy Reef Overflow". Thanks for keeping the hole location the same!
A couple of things that would improve the PDF: 1) a center dot in the middle of each hole and 2) a center line between the two holes.
Useful when making your own guide template out of wood or whatever.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the guidelines provided on the template you only need a pen and straight edge to get the dot in the middle of the two holes and as far as the center line, just fold your paper in half lining up the circles before creasing the paper.

Limpet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to drill my Aqueon 120. If the inside box is 1/8" below the inside trim, will the water level be higher than the bottom of the outside trim? I don't want to see the waterline from the outside.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@don_chuwish That's a good idea. I can add those pretty quickly.

@saltnewb That's a great idea also!

I'm about to drill my Aqueon 120. If the inside box is 1/8" below the inside trim, will the water level be higher than the bottom of the outside trim? I don't want to see the waterline from the outside.

@Limpet Yes it should be perfect!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the guidelines provided on the template you only need a pen and straight edge to get the dot in the middle of the two holes and as far as the center line, just fold your paper in half lining up the circles before creasing the paper.

Funny, that's exactly what I did.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! When you compare apples to apples our overflow is the best there is. Once you are ready, you now know how easy it is to do!
I have to agree! Some guys try to compare S.R. Ghost or Shadow to that 100 dollar one! Lol. My buddy made that mistake. I only paid 150 for the Shadow and got a free shirt. But I'll pay 300 for the Ghost before paying a 100 for that one!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree! Some guys try to compare S.R. Ghost or Shadow to that 100 dollar one! Lol. My buddy made that mistake. I only paid 150 for the Shadow and got a free shirt. But I'll pay 300 for the Ghost before paying a 100 for that one!

The budget "knock off's" are really bad. It is sad that people trust companies like that and spend their money on their knock offs. I understand people want to try and save a few bucks, but wasting money on inferior products actually costs more in the end. The Shadow is hands down a far better product because of the R&D and testing we have done. Plus we manufacture theme professionally, not chopping up scraps and gluing them together to try and make a quick buck.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to drill my 180 marineland as im typing this , but i have some concerns on water level.
When i place the templete inside the tank as directed the outside box hits the trim. So i lowered it 1/4" to give some clearence to remove the outside lid and im still not sure when installed i will be able to remove it. The other thing is the water level line on templete is 3/16in below the trim. I dont think i can go any lower already to low on the water level reveal and outside box top possibly needs more clearence . Whole idea with the trim tank is not to see the water line. Please help me out

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to drill my 180 marineland as im typing this , but i have some concerns on water level.
When i place the templete inside the tank as directed the outside box hits the trim. So i lowered it 1/4" to give some clearence to remove the outside lid and im still not sure when installed i will be able to remove it. The other thing is the water level line on templete is 3/16in below the trim. I dont think i can go any lower already to low on the water level reveal and outside box top possibly needs more clearence . Whole idea with the trim tank is not to see the water line. Please help me out

@Acro maniac If you follow how I did the video you will have a water level above the plastic trim. The rear box will be pretty much dead flush with the back trim. You will be able to remove the lid perfectly fine once the gaskets are in place they will push the box out away from the trim, so it will not interfere. Here are a couple of photos to see how the rear box should line up with the trim. You will not see your water line if installed like this. Hope this helps.

z6AmkSpl.jpg

Q8gFcc7l.jpg

vHkE8CGl.jpg

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Acro maniac If you follow how I did the video you will have a water level above the plastic trim. The rear box will be pretty much dead flush with the back trim. You will be able to remove the lid perfectly fine once the gaskets are in place they will push the box out away from the trim, so it will not interfere. Here are a couple of photos to see how the rear box should line up with the trim. You will not see your water line if installed like this. Hope this helps.

z6AmkSpl.jpg

Q8gFcc7l.jpg

vHkE8CGl.jpg
Thanks for a fast response im just back from dinner and going to relook with the gaskits to see the fit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back