How to feed corals? (Newbie in feeding corals)

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 22gal all in one tank. I wanted to start feeding corals other than just dropping in mysia shrimp to feed my fish and hoping they catch some. I have heard of reed roids, reef chili, phytoplankton, and etc but I am worried about crashing my tank. I have a small system so I know big swings of anything is not good and I like to keep thinks very simple, but I know introducing feeding to my corals can give maxium growth and colors. Up to this point I only relied on light.

Can some give advice on how this works? Do you just mix these products onto the water? And if so does the filtration system clean everything up? Should I be worried that corals wont get anything if the pump is on? Like does my filtration aponge pick everything up? Do I have to turn off powerheads? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't used reef roids, but I use something similar, Hikari Coralific Delite. I mix it in a small cup with tankwater and use a syringe to administer the sludge. You could use a turkey baster to suck up mysis and feed it to more aggresive corals.

I turn off powerheads to feed as well.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either broadcast feed or target feed depending on what corals you have and how you feel like doing it.

Broadcast feeding is you just mix some reef roids into a cup or tank water and then add back into the tank. I would leave return pump off for 15mins to an hour but keep wavemakers on.

Target feeding you will make more of a paste and directly place some of that onto the corals that will eat it (lps and softies no sps) this is what I do for my lps maybe once a week if I remember and they are doing fine.

Here’s a good video of how to make a paste from reefroids. You’ll have to refine the amount of water to the amount of reefroids you use but it’s the idea.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back