How to feed pellets?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to feed pellets? If I turn off the pump and let float the clown eats all the pellets and the more timid fish won't swim up.

If I drop the pellets under water they sink to the bottom and nobody eats it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to feed pellets? If I turn off the pump and let float the clown eats all the pellets and the more timid fish won't swim up.

If I drop the pellets under water they sink to the bottom and nobody eats it.

Have you considered thawed frozen foods?

When I use pellets, I like TDO Chromaboost which float with pumps off, but when pumps turn on they act neutrally buoyant and float through out. However, there is a variety of foods I cut up to feed.

Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG

so I take the above and get it into prepackaged meals because I'm busy - sometimes I keep it frozen like this (just reuse one of the empty ones):
foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG

I also use Chinese takeout contains to hold Red Sea cups where I thaw foods in fridge, maybe about 4 days work of foods for the various tanks.

You will find what works for you and your fish.

EDIT: I only turn off return pumps when feeding - there are still pumps IN my tanks that remain on at all times (except cleaning/water changes) which are still moving food around.

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pellets are fed from an eheim auto feeder. I have the feeder mounted about 6” above the water. So quite a bit of the food will sink when it hits the water and then scattered with my pumps. Some food still floats and my wrasses and hippo take care of floaters. I feed mostly NLS sinking pellets. I don’t shut off any pumps when I feed. I also feed frozen, flake, and nori by hand.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have 4 pumps.....two sit on the bare bottom and two up higher. I shut the higher ones off when feeding with the lower two continiously moving anything from the bottom back up so pellets are always suspended.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back