How to frag encrusting chalice

It's not the neatest method but bone cutters will work if you're willing to wait for it to encrust out to the edge of the plug/disk/etc.
 
It's not the neatest method but bone cutters will work if you're willing to wait for it to encrust out to the edge of the plug/disk/etc.
I’m letting it encrust a rock because I want it to be a showpiece at the same time. Will bone cutters still work for that?
 
I would really have to see a pic of the colony, alot of factors go into a clean frag and healthy mother
 
alot of situations require a dremel with a diamond blade to kinda cut it out rock and all
 
I got the m12 for cheap and the dremel quick disco kit comes with the diamond blade I speak of also grab some nice full wrap around goggles while your at it. Frag On @@
 
You don’t want to cut chalice with bone cutters. Likely won’t Be a clean cut. Crushed skeleton easily can happen.
 
Ended up getting a meterk dremel for $27. Just couldn’t justify a band saw for my purposes. It might not work too well with chalices, but hopefully I can frag some other lps with it
 
So how do people keep their montipora and other encrusters from taking over? Do they just have to scrape it off or can they get a frag out of it?
Most use kalk paste or superglue if they're not creative enough with other corals placed to keep encrusters in check. If you want frags, make a frag to glue down to the rock and grow the rest out on a plug/tile. If it gets big enough, hammer and chisel will frag an encrusted rock lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new