How to frag this Cyphastrea

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,617
Reaction score
33,497
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A space invader pectinia attacked this meteor shower Cyphastrea and killed about half of it. (I know I have a space theme going lol) I would like to cut it up and put the pieces in my frag tank but am not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions on how to cut it? I don't have a coral saw. I have a diamond blade in my table saw that I use to cut rock but can not spray water while cutting for obvious reasons. I thought about using it and dipping the coral in a tub of water every couple of seconds but I dunno.
20221012_181606.jpg
20221012_181612.jpg
 
Agree that there's no need to frag off the dead part, but if you decide you want to, then yes, you can use a saw with a diamond blade (regular or Dremel) if you do it in short bursts and dip it in water every few seconds to keep from burning the flesh...
 
It will re encrust? If so I'll scrub the alage off and let it go. I have a place for it in anther tank.
Yes it would they grow fast. If u really want to cut it u can still do with the dremel at the edge if the viable tissue. Even cutting through live tissue is no big deal.
 
Yes it would they grow fast. If u really want to cut it u can still do with the dremel at the edge if the viable tissue. Even cutting through live tissue is no big deal.
I wont cut it if it will grow back. I did not know they would grow back over part that had died. I'm not looking to make frags really, just wanted to salvage the piece.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new