How to frag zoas video

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question about fragging once you have a big colony in the tank. I have started with a plug that was glued to the rocks in my structure, now the zoas have grown over the frag and onto the rock (which cannot be removed because of the other stuff around it). How do I go about fragging those?

Thanks
Anybody?

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same situation as others.
I have a massive colony that is out of control on a rock that is part of a cave in my tank. I can take it out of the water but how to frag off of that without distroying the Rock, as it has to go back in the tank as is.
I have taken it out before and got 4 polyps off of it in about an hour and a half.
If the Zoas wouldn't be so extended it may not be as difficult but I'm at a loss. Need to go at it again as it is trying to take over two other colonies that a prefer over the eagle eye that is taking over.
Any videos on that would be great!!!!
Thanks for any tips or advise in advance.
Even tips on controlling the colonies would be great but I assume you can't control nature.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same situation as others.
I have a massive colony that is out of control on a rock that is part of a cave in my tank. I can take it out of the water but how to frag off of that without distroying the Rock, as it has to go back in the tank as is.
I have taken it out before and got 4 polyps off of it in about an hour and a half.
If the Zoas wouldn't be so extended it may not be as difficult but I'm at a loss. Need to go at it again as it is trying to take over two other colonies that a prefer over the eagle eye that is taking over.
Any videos on that would be great!!!!
Thanks for any tips or advise in advance.
Even tips on controlling the colonies would be great but I assume you can't control nature.
You can always peel them of the rock gently but a the chances of diyng is higher. If i take off the rock i cut pieces of rock and destroy the rock. A lot of times i frag the whole colony and start over with a small frag.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can they be out of water? I've always been afraid of keeping them out too long.
They can be out of the water for hours. In some areas in miami the zoas are out of the water in low tide for 6 hrs +.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always peel them of the rock gently but a the chances of diyng is higher. If i take off the rock i cut pieces of rock and destroy the rock. A lot of times i frag the whole colony and start over with a small frag.
Thanks I will try again this weekend. Would you try to use a razor to get under them or actually peel them off? I tried the razor last time it worked but like I mentioned took over and hour to get 4 off with out injuring them.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will try again this weekend. Would you try to use a razor to get under them or actually peel them off? I tried the razor last time it worked but like I mentioned took over and hour to get 4 off with out injuring them.
I use my nail and work my way around the corners. Look for a loose area. Wear good eye protection there will be lots of zoas spitting water using this method.

Traxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup going to buy some stronger shears like what you used, so tired of chasing floaters and watching polyps encased in glue die off. Thanks for filming and posting

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very helpful video! BUMP!

H2Ocorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have touched my zoas constantly without gloves and nothing has ever happened. Should i just be more worried about it if there is an open cut in my skin. I haven't seen many report of people getting hurt from zoa toxins

Ahbaloch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you cut zoas, what do you dip them in? And for how long?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up bc it's a really helpful video.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back