How to get coral growth?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, maybe calcium and mag are effecting the corals?
Alk and calcium is fine mag is high.
Instead of the foam in your aqua clear use filter floss. This will allow you to change it more often and quickly.

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For test kits I recommend Red Sea Marine Care test kit, it's a great test kit that lets you test all the major parameters for a new tank, being ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and alkalinity. From there I would get the Hanna Alkalinity checker and the red sea calcium kit. Make sure salinity and temperature are stable. Tunze Nano ATO is a great beginner option that is super reliable and the Cobalt Neo-therm heaters are the best heaters on the market, they're also super reliable and super accurate. What salt are you using, how many gallons of water in your system, and what fish & corals do you have? Stability is the key here. You are keeping water first and foremost. Keep your water good and stable and your corals will thrive.

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For test kits I recommend Red Sea Marine Care test kit, it's a great test kit that lets you test all the major parameters for a new tank, being ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and alkalinity. From there I would get the Hanna Alkalinity checker and the red sea calcium kit. Make sure salinity and temperature are stable. Tunze Nano ATO is a great beginner option that is super reliable and the Cobalt Neo-therm heaters are the best heaters on the market, they're also super reliable and super accurate. What salt are you using, how many gallons of water in your system, and what fish & corals do you have? Stability is the key here. You are keeping water first and foremost. Keep your water good and stable and your corals will thrive.
I am using vibrant sea and have 11g, I have an extreme Picasso clownfish, 3 blue leg hermits, 3 snails, and GSP, pipe organ that don’t seem to open up too often, duncan corals which are doing great, and a hammer coral I almost killed but have been hanging on for a couple months.

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than nitrate your parameters are all fine. It would be good to being that up to between 5 and 10 ppm. The cleanest way to do this is to dose it into the tank.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding your fish?
If you're feeding him pellets or flakes, then it's very likely that your nitrates are too low.
Those foods produce more phosphates and almost no nitrate. A couple of cubes of frozen food could do wonders for your tank, if bottomed out nitrates are your issue.

I have a 15-gallon nano with two fish, and I feed them pellets. Every time I do a water change, I make sure to feed them some frozen food to get the nitrates up.

Also, you might want to consider target feeding your corals with RedSea AB+. It's done wonders for some of my corals (not all of them, but they might just need more time).

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the key here is stability, what are you using to measure salinity as well cuz the range seemed weird. If its fluctuating a lot an auto top off can help and even really cheap simple ones are very effective like the one i will link below, if you do not have also pick up a refractometer and calibration solution

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the key here is stability, what are you using to measure salinity as well cuz the range seemed weird. If its fluctuating a lot an auto top off can help and even really cheap simple ones are very effective like the one i will link below, if you do not have also pick up a refractometer and calibration solution

I am using a hydrometer where u put it in the water and the hand (like a clock) points to where the salinity is. Should that work? Or would the refractometer be a better option.

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding your fish?
If you're feeding him pellets or flakes, then it's very likely that your nitrates are too low.
Those foods produce more phosphates and almost no nitrate. A couple of cubes of frozen food could do wonders for your tank, if bottomed out nitrates are your issue.

I have a 15-gallon nano with two fish, and I feed them pellets. Every time I do a water change, I make sure to feed them some frozen food to get the nitrates up.

Also, you might want to consider target feeding your corals with RedSea AB+. It's done wonders for some of my corals (not all of them, but they might just need more time).
I feed my clown mostly pellets, since starting to feed the duncan mysis shrimp my clown will go crazy so I feed them to it as well. I’ve been feeding reef roids to my other corals and they are seeming very happy and open, hopefully will get some growth soon! Will look in to RedSea AB+, thanks for the suggestions!

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a hydrometer where u put it in the water and the hand (like a clock) points to where the salinity is. Should that work? Or would the refractometer be a better option.
A refractometer is easier to use, but not better. Basically, as long as you know what the salinity is you're good to go. But you need to make sure that you rinse your equipment after use and keep it calibrated.
I feed my clown mostly pellets, since starting to feed the duncan mysis shrimp my clown will go crazy so I feed them to it as well. I’ve been feeding reef roids to my other corals and they are seeming very happy and open, hopefully will get some growth soon! Will look in to RedSea AB+, thanks for the suggestions!
Test your nitrates to see where they're at. That is the only way to know if you're feeding them enough.
Giving your duncans mysis will raise your nitrates but maybe not as fast as your water changes lower them (I'm assuming that you feed them a few pieces of mysis rather that a whole cube).

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just add DO NOT go buy chemicals to lower alk or mag or do anything else. You should be able to manage everything on a tank that small with water changes. Are you using RODI water or tap water?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using vibrant sea and have 11g, I have an extreme Picasso clownfish, 3 blue leg hermits, 3 snails, and GSP, pipe organ that don’t seem to open up too often, duncan corals which are doing great, and a hammer coral I almost killed but have been hanging on for a couple months.
Why are you using vibrant right now? That could also be effecting coral growth
A refractometer is easier to use, but not better. Basically, as long as you know what the salinity is you're good to go. But you need to make sure that you rinse your equipment after use and keep it calibrated.

Test your nitrates to see where they're at. That is the only way to know if you're feeding them enough.
Giving your duncans mysis will raise your nitrates but maybe not as fast as your water changes lower them (I'm assuming that you feed them a few pieces of mysis rather that a whole cube).
Hard to really "calibrate" a swing arm hydrometer, they also over time become less and less reliable because of the moving arm. Hvaing a refractometer and actually knowing the exact will help them

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you using vibrant right now? That could also be effecting coral growth

Hard to really "calibrate" a swing arm hydrometer, they also over time become less and less reliable because of the moving arm. Hvaing a refractometer and actually knowing the exact will help them
I was recommended vibrant sea

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back