How to get impeller off the Reeflo hammerhead pumps.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two that need service. Two guys, one on each side, and we cannot get either of them to budge. The screw driver is starting to year up the end if the shaft. Any ideas?

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did mine . Take a pair of channel lock and go in between the plastic and grip the shaft . I screwdriver thing has never worked on my hammer head

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do what me&mybaby do. I did have one that just wouldn't budge, ended up having to pipe wrench it all the way off and the shaft broke. upon further inspection it appears as through the impeller was cross threaded on.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use locking pliers on the fan end shaft rather than a screwdriver and a strap wrench on the impeller then apply steady pressure. If there is a bunch or rust or corrosion on the impeller threads a penetrating oil might be a good idea to use to help free up the threads. I checked a video I made on one of my reeflo pumps and it did not use reverse threads when looking at it from the impeller side as it was righty tighty to put the impeller back on the pump.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,direction say counter clockwise to loosen the impeller. I do not have a strap wretch - but I will sacrifice the impeller if I have to. I may swing by home depot to get a strap wrench. I am pretty sure I do have a Channel lock type wrench. I doubt a locking pliers will be strong enough to hold the round shaft.

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,direction say counter clockwise to loosen the impeller. I do not have a strap wretch - but I will sacrifice the impeller if I have to. I may swing by home depot to get a strap wrench. I am pretty sure I do have a Channel lock type wrench. I doubt a locking pliers will be strong enough to hold the round shaft.

Any luck getting the impeller off?

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope- Its pretty fused. Took off the back fan and got a good grip on the shaft with non locking channel grip, then used a screwdriver to lever on the the impeller- still did not get it to budge. Much more pressure and I am afraid I will break the impeller and wreck my hand in the process. Turned the pump on its head and sprayed wd40 on the area where the shaft and the impeller are attached last night and let it soak in. If the pump wasn't so heavy I would figure out a way to soak the impeller area in citric acid - but I don't have a place to do that without worrying the weight of the pump would cause a spill or citric acid water to get into the dry motor area. Have not tried again yet today. I might bring it into a shop who has power tools - probably destroy the impellar and maybe the shaft too - but have fun doing it. Even if I have to pay for a new shaft ( already have an extra impeller) its better than buying a new pump. LOL

EDIT: Well -last attempt is a no go... two big guys with channel lock on the shaft and a large Phillips screwdriver in the impeller and it wont budge - but the impeller cracked a bit - lol . So ordered a new hybrid gold off BRS, got a deal on a returned unused pump for $407 - confirmed both impellers were in the box still - 5 year warranty . Reeflo was nice though offered $165 to get it working again and ship it back to me, but it would cost me $100 probably to ship it to them = $265 for a 7 -9 year old pump didn't make much sense. I was seriously thinking about buying an Abyzz or Red dragon pump- but just cannot wrap my head around a $1900 pump for my setup that cost only $1400 for the 150 gallon custom tank with solid wood stand and canopy including to the door delivery.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back