How to get my fish to Hawaii - Moving to Oahu

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am moving to Hawaii and I want to take my fish with me. I'm wondering the best way to do this. At first I just planed to check them as cargo on the plane like they would be transported if ordering online. I thought I saw places that said this was allowed. Now I'm seeing that may not be possible and they need to go on the plane with you. If that's the case it's going to severely limit the amount and size of fish I can bring. I was planning on bringing 30-40 fish with sizes up to 8". I know there is no overnight shipping to Hawaii but there is 2 day shipping. I would be a bit nervous about having to ship them because of that. I've read they can stay in bags for that long, especially if you use oxygen instead of just air, but seems risky.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm desperate to bring my fish with me.

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am moving to Hawaii and I want to take my fish with me. I'm wondering the best way to do this. At first I just planed to check them as cargo on the plane like they would be transported if ordering online. I thought I saw places that said this was allowed. Now I'm seeing that may not be possible and they need to go on the plane with you. If that's the case it's going to severely limit the amount and size of fish I can bring. I was planning on bringing 30-40 fish with sizes up to 8". I know there is no overnight shipping to Hawaii but there is 2 day shipping. I would be a bit nervous about having to ship them because of that. I've read they can stay in bags for that long, especially if you use oxygen instead of just air, but seems risky.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm desperate to bring my fish with me.
While some may be able to logistically tell you how it may be done, understand that bringing any of your fish into Hawaii is illegal.

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While some may be able to logistically tell you how it may be done, understand that bringing any of your fish into Hawaii is illegal.
Yes, it is 100% allowed. They have lists by the species of what is and isn't allowed as far as fish. I've been through those and know exactly what I can bring. The question is how to get them there.

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is 100% allowed. They have lists by the species of what is and isn't allowed as far as fish. I've been through those and know exactly what I can bring. The question is how to get them there.
You may want to do a little more research. You can only bring them in with a permit, which they aren't currently issuing. You may get them on the plane, but they won't make it through customs here. I live on Oahu and made the move 8 months ago. I just don't want you to lose your prized pets when you land. Good luck.

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to do a little more research. You can only bring them in with a permit, which they aren't currently issuing. You may get them on the plane, but they won't make it through customs here. I live on Oahu and made the move 8 months ago. I just don't want you to lose your prized pets when you land. Good luck.
I know you need to apply using the form here:

It doesn't mention anything about permits not being issued currently. Where did you see that?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most airlines have airfreight set ups to ship fish. Need to apply for TSA clearance which takes a couple of weeks. Then you need to pack with fish boxes and bags with 50% oxygen. Heat packs if necessary. If you lack the ability to pack and ship you might check with a fish wholesale company to pack and ship for you.
I my limited experience with Hawaii there seems to be a desire by the state to prevent importation of species that are not from Hawaii and then the step one step further and ban collection and sales of fish on the Islands.

Good luck as I think you will not be allowed to move your fish with you. You can however have freshwater fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back