How to get my pink Birdsnest more pink

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a massive pink birdsnest that to me is very dull. It stared off as a golf ball size frag and is now closer to the size of a volleyball. It's at the top of my 180g right under a xr30. It's getting a lot of light but is more of a purple with some pink.

I have been fighting with untraceable nitrates for months but this thing has never been "pink" most of my other parameters are in line according the the triton ICP tests little low on potassium and iodine but I've been dosing those.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

PXL_20231204_043041727.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually need whites and reds in their lighting because they use chromoproteins for their pigment.

I’m assuming you have enough par to color them up. Maybe try experimenting with nitrate dosing to see if it improves anything.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking list?
Maybe up your feeding.
I also have been 0 nitrates since April so I added more fish and feed 4x more. Still zero but I did notice some sps coloring up a bit more. They're getting N, no doubt about that.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally had a bird of paradise that looked terrible while my system was testing 0 nitrates 0 phosphates, started feeding more to increase phosphates a bit and started dosing nitrates (neo nitro) and within 2-3 weeks the branches were vivid green and the polyps a rich purple. It might be worth it to try dosing some nitrates if you are struggling with it bottoming out. all my corals looked more vibrant and happy after I started doing that

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light. You need full spectrum light to show off true color in coral. Turn the whites, reds and green up more.
Thanks. I'm running the AB template on my XR30s. I wouldn't mind more white. I think it's set to 24% I'll bump those and try the red green up some.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow, you will be OK.

Pinks in stylos and birdsnests shine under daylight. Check out these links and purples in the air-exposed corals below.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.42.00 PM.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back