Overly green acros

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced a situation where their acros have primarily turned green? This has been happening in my tank for a while now. I’ll get something in from TSA, TCK, etc and it will look good, and slowly colors tend to fade to be predominantly green/lime. This isn’t just one or two of them either… I have at least 11-12 different acros all doing the same thing. These include tsa princess peach, palleta pink tip, rrc pink caddy, tsa bill Murray, tsa rainbow loom (lost all purple), tck burning bush, ora pearlberry, even a jf fox flame has this green hue all over what should be maroon.

4ft tank with 3 radion xr15 g6 pro and two AI glow blades at 275-350 PAR measured by apodgee. Modified AB+ spectrum similar to what WWC has shown in their recent YouTube vids with a 6hr period of whiter light in the morning. Higher nutrient tank (20ish NO3, .2-.3 PO4). Alk/Cal/Mag all in normal ranges dosing Kalk and maintaining 8.3-8.4 pH.

I assumed it was maybe a trace issue but Reef Labs ICP has shown ok for most things. Just sent a fresh one off today.

It’s frustrating buying these nice acros and then not seeing the colors they should be.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of your icp?

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of your icp?
Here’s a screenshot of the export.

I started monthly ICPs in November. November showed low in several things like iron, cobalt, vanadium, nickel, etc so I started dosing Captiv8 Isol8 MT.

The attached is December. Lots of things improved but pushed a little far so I dropped the MT to 3 drops a day vs 4. I also cut KZ Flatworm Stop in half to help with high iodine.

Mind you… none of these changes has affected the green domination.

I expect I’ll have results from the Jan ICP by Friday or Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_4866.png
    IMG_4866.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 41

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I have heard someone say KZ Flatworm contributes to high iodine. Has that been proven to be true?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up? Are you seeing any new growth, and if so, does the new growth show more color?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some red acros, red planet, turn green in lower light. I recently turned up my lights and a green area of a red acro reddened up.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher nutrients require higher lighting. Green and brown sticks usually mean low lighting (IN MY TANK) u can try bumping ur lights up 5-10% for a couple of weeks and see the difference….. also newly introduced frags can green up in defense until acclimated to your tank

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up? Are you seeing any new growth, and if so, does the new growth show more color?
Yeah, I'm noticing some of the recent growth is showing more color. So things have improved some. They're still not where I want them to be but I'm trying to be patient with it. I've swapped over to Kalkwasser and started managing pH with that (using the ACI method) and that's seemed to have helped a lot just getting growth moving. I gave that a couple of months and just swapped over to Reef Moonshiners for ICP/trace dosing and i'm working on settling that in now.

After that's done, I'm going to push the lights a bit more and see if that starts to shift things the right direction again.

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some red acros, red planet, turn green in lower light. I recently turned up my lights and a green area of a red acro reddened up.

Higher nutrients require higher lighting. Green and brown sticks usually mean low lighting (IN MY TANK) u can try bumping ur lights up 5-10% for a couple of weeks and see the difference….. also newly introduced frags can green up in defense until acclimated to your tank

I'm also suspicious of needing more light. The peak points are around 350 PAR on my apogee meter, but broader average is probably 250-275.

I've noticed a lot of the vendors and nicer stick tanks talk about running 450ish (or even higher). Once I get my traces settled with the moonshiners program, here in a couple of months, I'm going to start pushing lights 5-10% a month to see if that helps bring things out.

I also have a frag tank I'm getting going that has T5s and two AI Hydra 56s on it. The PAR gets crazy on that, so I can try putting a frag or two from one of my bigger pieces in there over the next few months and see what that changes without worrying about shocking my whole tank.

Everything seems to be pretty happy at the current lights, nutrients, etc. I just know there's more color to be had out of several of these pieces and that's my end goal.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have one acro that started pink but is now mostly green. Directly under a Kessil a360 Tuna Blue. 3 other pucks and two 48” Reefbrite XHO actinic blue strips on my 2x2x4 120 gallon tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also suspicious of needing more light. The peak points are around 350 PAR on my apogee meter, but broader average is probably 250-275.

I've noticed a lot of the vendors and nicer stick tanks talk about running 450ish (or even higher). Once I get my traces settled with the moonshiners program, here in a couple of months, I'm going to start pushing lights 5-10% a month to see if that helps bring things out.

I also have a frag tank I'm getting going that has T5s and two AI Hydra 56s on it. The PAR gets crazy on that, so I can try putting a frag or two from one of my bigger pieces in there over the next few months and see what that changes without worrying about shocking my whole tank.

Everything seems to be pretty happy at the current lights, nutrients, etc. I just know there's more color to be had out of several of these pieces and that's my end goal.
A dull green or a neon green? Normally if it’s neon green it could be too much light and it’s acclimating.

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I have heard someone say KZ Flatworm contributes to high iodine. Has that been proven to be true?
Can’t prove it I guess. But I was dosing flatworm stop by KZ as I swapped to moonshiners. My ICP came back with iodine crazy high, like 350+…. And I never dosed any iodine prior. So to me this adds up. I stopped using flatworm and my next ICP was back to near 0 iodine, which is dosed on the MS to maintain at a certain range.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t prove it I guess. But I was dosing flatworm stop by KZ as I swapped to moonshiners. My ICP came back with iodine crazy high, like 350+…. And I never dosed any iodine prior. So to me this adds up. I stopped using flatworm and my next ICP was back to near 0 iodine, which is dosed on the MS to maintain at a certain range.
Thanks - it says to dose the KZ daily so I am surprised. I have an ICP test on the way, my previous was also high iodine, so I wonder if that is the cause.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back