How to get rid of bubble algae?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if it swam near the bubble it would love it, Hes a pig! Literally sits by my feeding ring almost all day waiting for food lol. Glad to hear it’s easy to deal with, how do you tell the difference between male and female emeralds?
In the male emerald crab the pleon (belly) is described as narrow and looking like a light house. The female’s is wide for carrying eggs.
57A98902-4D80-4E78-A537-9C8ECA1F96E8.png

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Magnificent Foxface would pick at the bubble algae but it really didn't put that much of a dent in the bubble algae. He absolutely loves meaty foods and Nori and prefers that over bubble algae. I am sure if I stopped feeding my fish that the Foxface would rid the tank of bubble algae but if I did all my other fish would suffer and probably starve too death. IMO when people say that a certain type of fish will rid your tank of something, that may be only true if you starve your tank which I will not do myself. If you only have a extremely small amount of bubble algae a Foxface may do the job. Adding the Pitho Crabs is what rid my tank of bubble algae in less than a week. They are complete destroyers of bubble algae and are very cheap and fun to watch at night with the lights off. They have a interesting personality. When I shine my 470nm flashlight into the tank some will slowly, and I mean slowly come to the front glass and stand up begging like a dog. Fun to watch.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading mixed reviews on popping them, some say it’s fine and some say it causes the algae to explode. Never heard of pitho crabs so I’ll have to check those out. Thanks!!
Know that when they first appeared in my tank, I popped some when working on removal. The next thing I knew it was like I had a plague. They had to have released spores. It has been a battle to keep pulling my rocks and manually remove them. Make sure you rinse of the rock before placing it back in the tank.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some removed them over time and no more exist. At times small bubbles began to grow but I removed them when needed and I have not seen them in a while although I believe it is possible that they may show up again in more favorable conditions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back