How to harvest pods correctly?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bondno9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bondno9

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2023
Messages
125
Reaction score
26
Location
new jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had copepods I’ve been culturing for the past 3 weeks and yesterday I emptied out half the jar and then for the final cleaning, I sucked up all the algae and detritus at the bottom of the jar but there was copepods on it. What’s the best way to keep those pods while removing the algae and detritus from the mesh sieve? I used 3 sieves connected to each other. 250/120/50.
 
Personally I use a turkey baster to suck the water out and and then squeeze it through the sieve, that way I get none of the algae or mulm, only pods. Moving the container or jar will mix everything up, try to avoid that.

I sacrifice the last few pods to avoid any algae and mulm. Then clean the container, and start over again.
 
Do yourself a favor and get a jug with a spout and an infuser (optional). put ceramic media in the infuser, use the spout to collect into a separate container. don't move the main vessel and let the water settle (aka, turn off the air pump) before you collect. This way you get the cleanest water possible with ONLY pods, hardly any waste or phyto etc.
Tiger pods will reproduce like CRAZY in these conditions.

You don't really ever need to clean the vessel. you can simply replace clean saltwater with each harvest, and replenish the food.
If you really wanted to be "anal" and have a clean vessel every 4-6 months, from the spout, collect 80% of the water, then turkey baste 80% of the bottom muck (discard even with pods - or start separate cultures with this muck). Replenish the vessel. I would consider this the cleanest you would ever need the vessel to be, unless there is a crash from an outside source or contamination you will have success with Tigger pods this way.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new