How to identify SPS

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to sps. I only have a 24 gallon nano and want to 2-3 featured milleporas with the limited space that the tank has. I'm looking at the selling thread for awhile now and the sps are mostly listed with a name, e.g. JF XXXX.

How do I know or how can I tell if they are milleporas? I've tried looking up the name with "colony" but it hardly comes up with a colony picture.

While you're here, if you only get to select 2-3 milleporas, what would you get?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from a acro expert but with millepora each corallite will have one tentacle that is longer than the rest. There may be others that do that as well but most of the ones you see in the hobby will have the same length tentacles besides millepora.
Here is a picture I found on google where you can see the longer tentacles pretty easily.

B22E713D-64A4-4D20-A70B-2F1BB28C725B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
xiongsy

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
xiongsy

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from a acro expert but with millipora each corallite will have one tentacle that is longer than the rest. There may be others that do that as well but most of the ones you see in the hobby will have the same length tentacles besides millipora.
Here is a picture I found on google where you can see the longer tentacles pretty easily.
So, correct me if I am wrong. A PC rainbow a mille? The photo attached (currently listed in the selling thread va dr. Jim) is a mille? I don't think a oregon tort is a mille? Sorry, still trying to figure it out.

Attachments

• 2959796-34cc8a32336a3690aca4547a62b010b0.jpg
    2959796-34cc8a32336a3690aca4547a62b010b0.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
xiongsy

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also reach out to the company and ask. They would obviously know what it was.
It's a hobbyist selling that piece here that I'm using as an example. So there's no way to tell unless you see the mother colony?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hobbyist selling that piece here that I'm using as an example. So there's no way to tell unless you see the mother colony?
For the most part it is how you buy it either from a reputed store or directly from a store that labels their pieces. For the example above, POTO boomerang, that is from pieces of the ocean in staten island. They have pics of their mother colonies (most of them) on their site.
You really need to know lineage before trying to sell a piece for a higher price (or similar priced to what the named coral is sold for). If the coral is really nice and wild caught you can either describe it by color (ie. red and green millepora) or give it a name of your own (example xiongsy insane millepora). There are some acros that are very easy to identify though like an oregon tort

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, correct me if I am wrong. A PC rainbow a mille? The photo attached (currently listed in the selling thread va dr. Jim) is a mille? I don't think an oregon tort is a mille? Sorry, still trying to figure it out.
I don’t believe a pc rainbow is a millepora, an Oregon tort is an acropora tortuosa I believe.
The picture of boomerang on POTO website looks like a millepora to me, but the picture you attached does not. I’m not so sure the picture you attached is actually a POTO boomerang, but again I’m no expert.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of a boomerang from POTO website. It’s clearly red with a longer yellow tentacle in each corallite. The picture you attached doesn’t seem to have that.
42C96A67-AF3E-4EF7-9B9D-E121689D12AE.png

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All millipora are acropora, but not all acropora are millipora. Millie's are known for their long polyps and fuzzy like texture.

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think part of the problem is a lot of the names are color/brands rather than taxonomic and as above, many by hobbyists may be misidentified
i think the coral id site lets you go down by growth form/polyp form to narrow down (been a while since i have done)

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For corals that have been grown in captivity for a long time, it can be hard to identify them down to the species, as the growth form of captive grown corals differs greatly from their wild counterparts due to the conditions in our tanks being very different than on wild reefs. One example of this is Acropora millepora encrusting more and growing in a arborescent shape in captivity while its wild counterpart grows in a more corymbose shape. Another example is captive Stylocoeniella generally doesn't grow coenosteal spines in captivity while wild Stylocoeniella do.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried looking up Poto Boomerang and nothing came up
Here's a picture of it from POTO.... but I'm not sure if it is a mille.

EDIT: Just saw someone already posted this picture.....sorry.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poto boomerang looks more like a hyanthicus to me. I would just buy corals that have Mille in their name/description.
I find most vendors/stores don’t know how to id acropora so don’t count on them unless you trust the sellers word. Fyi polyps are not looked at when identifying acropora. Just coralite structure and placement.

OP
OP
xiongsy

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poto boomerang looks more like a hyanthicus to me. I would just buy corals that have Mille in their name/description.
I find most vendors/stores don’t know how to id acropora so don’t count on them unless you trust the sellers word. Fyi polyps are not looked at when identifying acropora. Just coralite structure and placement.
Thank you. If the vendors and stores don't even know then I definitely won't lol. Look for mille, got it!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back