How to increase phosphate

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is currently fallow (it has a skunk cleaner shrimp and som recordea) and has been so for 3 weeks now. I am feeding some flake for the shrimp but other than that... The system has never been high on phosphate anyway but today, it measures at .01ppm (Hanna phos ulr). I am a little worried about getting an outbreak of Dino and also maybe supressing other beneficial processes that require phosphate.

Two questions:
1). Is .01 ppm enough phosphate?
2). Does anyone have links to threads that describe the best way to add phosphate to a tank? I know Brightwell has a product but I am not sure if that is the most effective way to add phosphate.

Nitrate is at 5ppm according to Salifert if that is of any interest.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is currently fallow (it has a skunk cleaner shrimp and som recordea) and has been so for 3 weeks now. I am feeding some flake for the shrimp but other than that... The system has never been high on phosphate anyway but today, it measures at .01ppm (Hanna phos ulr). I am a little worried about getting an outbreak of Dino and also maybe supressing other beneficial processes that require phosphate.

Two questions:
1). Is .01 ppm enough phosphate?
2). Does anyone have links to threads that describe the best way to add phosphate to a tank? I know Brightwell has a product but I am not sure if that is the most effective way to add phosphate.

Nitrate is at 5ppm according to Salifert if that is of any interest.
Reef roids is very high in phosphates.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer phosphate to be a little higher as 0.01 could be 0 based on a tests error range.
I use brightwell's phosphate since I can control the amount. Pistondog's suggestion on Reef Roids works too if you want to heavily feed stuff for a little bit .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back