How to introduce new fish

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a McCoskers Flasher Wrasse in QT with a ruby red dragonet. I want them to join my DT that already has the following fish in it:

48 gallon bow front reef
Skimmer
LED lights
48 pounds live rock
BTA and Ocellaris clown
Starry Blenny
Red Head Fairy Salon Wrasse
2 shrimps
CUC
tons of pods

how should I introduce them so they are not harassed? I have heard of a box method? where do I get one? photo please?

Thanks!
Neptune

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used the box method. I've always add at night with lights out and seems to work good. Only once had to remove a fish for a few and 2nd try went smoothly.

armspar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add him at nighttime, not just when lights are off, make sure its when the fish are on their normal cycle of sleep. Make sure to feed all of your fish twice the amount the day before adding him.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation boxes helps everyone to get used to each other and determine any aggression there may be. I've always used them and they do work, especially if you have aggressive fish, like the Clown with his BTA. I usually keep them in the box for at least 2 weeks or until things have settled down. I then release the fish at night with the lights off. It's allot better than to find out after you've release the fish into your DT. Has saved many a fish;)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime that you add a new wrasse to an existing one, using a social acclimation box is highly recommended.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am convinced I need an acclimation box. How big and how long do you keep your fish in the acclimation box? I see some on line for 50.00? Could I make one with netting? or will the netting freak the fish out and he will get stuck in it? I was thinking of taking a clear bath catty and wrapping it in the clear screen netting I used to create the tops for my tanks so that my wrasse does not jump. Ideas?

thanks
Neptune

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 163 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back