How to Keep an Eel in the Tank?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard numerous times that eels are escape artists and love to go carpet surfing or sneak into overflows and the like. I feel like I am lucky, because my eel to my knowledge has never made an escape attempt, even though he almost certainly could if he wanted to. My current tank doesn't have overflows, but my upgraded tank does and I really want to keep him out of there.

What do y'all do to keep your eels in the display where they belong?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are talking about the overflows. I took a piece of rigid plastic, you could use a thin piece of acrylic as well. Shape to the top of the overflow, drill a hole in the top above the vent hole in your overflow plumbing. Use a few drops of super glue to hold it in place.

Obviously the tank itself has lids

Coachp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently nothing. i have overflows and easy ways out but it has no interest in getting out. 20201226_123040.jpg I do have a mesh lid I need to get around to building though.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently nothing. i have overflows and easy ways out but it has no interest in getting out. 20201226_123040.jpg I do have a mesh lid I need to get around to building though.

An eel has no concept of being in a glass cage full of water, and there being no water on the other side. When the eel cruises around and just follows his nose, one day he will be ovet the edge. People that keep eels lidless are too ashamed to admit this, when it happens.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, was meaning the overflows. Your method sounds awesome, cheap, and easy. Will definitely be implementing that on this tank.

As for the lid itself, it's a euro braced tank, so the top is mostly covered anyways, but will definitely be doing something about closing it up entirely.

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weighted lid, overflows have a circulation pump that carries water from the bottom to the top again and are jam packed with marine pure spheres to boost my bio filtration - This makes it a rock wall to him he can't get into, and doubles to take care of the nastiness they create.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back