How to kill Bryopsis?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, I’m assuming, a bad case of Bryopsis or green hair algae that won’t go away on its own. I read in another forum that Fluconazole is the best option to remove Bryopsis entirely. But is it possible to use Vibrant by Underwater Creations to remove this problematic algae? Which would do best? Which is safer for a tank full of corals?
Here’s an image of my algae problem. Will Fluconazole cause swings in alkalinity or nitrate or anything like that? Thanks!

C88E6A18-6CE5-4A49-82F3-5EAC58464355.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in luck my friend, that seems to be GHA not bryopsis, what’s your current parameters am assuming your po4 or no3 will be very low also?

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in luck my friend, that seems to be GHA not bryopsis, what’s your current parameters am assuming your po4 or no3 will be very low also?
I was told it was in another forum lol so I’m not sure, but yes my nitrates are low, pretty much zero, and I don’t test phosphate if that’s po4, so I’m not sure. I’ve just had this problem going on for a while and it won’t go away on its own.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it was in another forum lol so I’m not sure, but yes my nitrates are low, pretty much zero, and I don’t test phosphate if that’s po4, so I’m not sure. I’ve just had this problem going on for a while and it won’t go away on its own.

Unfortunately you will always get different opinions regarding algae.

In Mine opinion is:

1- increase no3 to detectable levels (minimum 1) the zero nitrates is giving you more problems than benefits, for once I can see what it looks like the beginning of dinoflagellates, they thrive in low to zero nutrients and it can be a pain to remove.

2. Test your po4, you will want this at a minimum of 0.03 if you let it hit zero it’s opening the door to dinoflagellates also.

3. Once no3 and po4 are in balance try and dose some beneficial bacteria and live phytoplankton. The reason is imo, the algae is thriving as nh4 is being depleted by the algae. keeping average reef parameters and dosing bacteria and phytoplankton will increases your chances to outcompete the algae.

Imo reducing po4 and no3 to try and starve algae is just not effective and it will create more issues than benefits.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used fluconazol three different times and each time I have seen bryopsis die after two courses, 100% recommended.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back