How to kill Xenia

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Xenia that I got on a clump of live rock that has started taking over my tank. I'm not terribly fond of it, I'm worried that it's going to start strangling some other corals and would rather use the space for something else anyway; what's the best way to kill it? I've been putting Joes Juice (kalkwasser) on it and it makes it unhappy for a bit but it seems to bounce back in a few days. Any other suggestions?

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions - I've started pruning with a pair of forceps and will slather the bases with F Aiptasia. If that doesn't work I'll try the glue method.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions - I've started pruning with a pair of forceps and will slather the bases with F Aiptasia. If that doesn't work I'll try the glue method.
I inject the jerks with a thick kalkwasser they retract but then flourish. Crazy as it’s like a pH of 12.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling water blast (less invasive)
Boil hot water in kettle, place in mug/cup/ jug,. Use turkey a turkey baster or syringe to target blast

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started plucking the buggers off with a pair of forceps. Then peeled the feet off the rock the best I could, then blasted what was left with F aptaisia. Very tedious and time consuming but I eventually got everything.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to removing a bta …
It’s worked for me to thin my Xenia fields . But I personally don’t mind having them just need to be kept under control
Yeah I don’t mind some either but i’m trying to keep them under control.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t mind some either but i’m trying to keep them under control.
Good luck …..

I’ve thought I killed everything a few years ago .
it started with one frag . It took over 1/3 of my 90 gal .
the tank crashed and after transferring everything I still had 1 lonely frag

it’s now become invasive but isolated to the left side of my tank .

I’ve tried giving some away . No one wants any

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black And White Test GIF

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fenbendazole was used to get rid of blue clove polyps. It'll also work against Xenia and other invasive soft corals. It's tough to find but the easiest to source is Panacur C. You can find some additional information is this thread.

edit: link to thread.

Soozannerie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started plucking the buggers off with a pair of forceps. Then peeled the feet off the rock the best I could, then blasted what was left with F aptaisia. Very tedious and time consuming but I eventually got everything.
Did this eventually clear your tank of Xenia? I’ve removed all rock, scraped off the feet and eventually they co
E back.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this eventually clear your tank of Xenia? I’ve removed all rock, scraped off the feet and eventually they co
E back.
Yes - it takes time and persistence but I did get everything eventually. The biggest problem was they had spread onto my torch coral so it was difficult to get them without damaging the torch.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back