How to know Monti/Milli are doing good?

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I just added first two SPS pieces to my tank after success with soft coral. How to know if these two pieces are doing OK and will establish? What are signs to look for they are not doing OK? It's a superman montipora and pink millipora

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp extension is a good sign. Bad signs would be pretty obvious such as bleaching, dead spots, constantly retracted polyps.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they look like this! On the upper right it started to bleach a bit but since I took this photo it looks much better I use no chiller and sometimes my temps can rise to 86 degrees for short times and the inhabitants of my system seem to have no problem right now my tank temp is 84.4 degrees and all is good.i know you are not concerned about the temps in my system but i think it is important to let you know that they are very hardy corals mine said Feed Me!
F011A546-765D-4DA3-854F-A4B7FEB0A8B7.jpeg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth and color are good indicators. Sps seem to all have white rings or tips (depending on the type of coral) where they are growing.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks, I just put them in and they are frags so I will keep a close eye on them. I will also be adjusting the light to more intensity because over a 40g breeder I just have the one Gen 4 XR30W Pro light, and it's currently just running at 55%
I think the next step is turning the intensity higher, but I did put both frags on the top shelf rock, so they should be getting good par.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah my system has recently gone through a big move but everything perked up immediately after moving and the frags showed all their polyps the next day from this recent order, I used to not test for alk/calc/mag at all because my softies just simply didn't use any with me doing water changes every other week 50%

I will start testing regularly soon now and have methods to dose if needed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back