How to legally collect and transport fish and corals

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i go on a yearly vacation to the Caribbean and was wondering if there is a way to collect and transport fish and coral back to California.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to check local laws of your destination country and then go on the USDA or customs website and see what kind of paperwork you need to bring back to the States.

FWIW most Caribbean countries I’ve visited have strict no collection (or touch) policy for corals and sadly not many corals left. Fish are a bit different and depend on the species. In most cases you may need to apply for a commercial license. In sum, it’s tricky and not sure worth the trouble. Probably much easier to find a local diver with a license who can do it for you.

OP
OP
geddavis

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am traveling to st Lucia and I can’t find any information on the collection of marine life

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Under the Fisheries Act Cap 7.15, it is illegal to collect, damage, use, sell, buy or be in possession of any type of coral. This includes live and dead coral, and refers to both “hard” and “soft” corals, including sea fans, sea whips, black coral, and brown coral. The prohibited use includes the collection and use of coral from the wild, and all coral rubble which may be found on the beach or along the coastline."

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/high-fines-for-illegal-coral-use-department-of-fisheries/

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i go on a yearly vacation to the Caribbean and was wondering if there is a way to collect and transport fish and coral back to California.
do your homework and try to find through the internet a station that collects fish by or close to your destination you're going to in the Caribbean and look at this video hopefully it'll help you on the ship it out.

OP
OP
geddavis

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to get some unique and cheap corals. I will update if I figure out a way in the future. I am going to try and call their wildlife department and see if there is any company or speacalle permit for the collection. My guess is it will be more expensive getting and collecting the coral than just buying it but we will see

OP
OP
geddavis

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of anywhere in the Caribbean where you can collect coral.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to fill out a USDA import form VS17-129 filled out and faxed to USDA 7-10 days before you bring them back.

The port inspections and veterinary certificates apply to carp and a few other species.

I’m sure ST. Lucia doesent want people taking things though and has their own set of collecting laws.
Enjoy it, I’ve been there. Beautiful place.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to get some unique and cheap corals. I will update if I figure out a way in the future. I am going to try and call their wildlife department and see if there is any company or speacalle permit for the collection. My guess is it will be more expensive getting and collecting the coral than just buying it but we will see
When i was looking for stations in Tonga. I emailed chamber of comrence in Tonga. They gave me exporters of corals from there.

Last edited:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of anywhere in the Caribbean where you can collect coral.

I’ve been to many Caribbean islands and when diving usually we get warned that collection or even touching is illegal. I doubt any country honestly will let you just pick stuff without some permit which may be tough/impossible to get as a tourist. Some islands don’t even allow any sales of corals even for the locals.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the importation of corals from the Caribbean was illegal but could be wrong. I would not try to bring anything through customs without the required documentation. In Florida, you can collect with a salt water fishing license. You cannot collect hard corals, sea fans or fire coral. Why would anyone want fire coral? If you collect in Florida, there are no customs to go through.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back