How to make a floating island with rocks and magnets at home?

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i want to make a floating rock island for my aquarium but couldnt find which type of magnet to use? Can someone help me?

IMG_2130.jpeg IMG_2131.jpeg

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i want to make a floating rock island for my aquarium but couldnt find which type of magnet to use? Can someone help me?

IMG_2130.jpeg IMG_2131.jpeg
Hello, welcome to R2R, I'm new to the hobby as well and I don't think I can help you with the magnet thing, but I did see someone on IG who did it on the back wall with epoxy. I don't know if you can find a video or something about that.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any strong magnet (e.g., Neodymium) will do; the key is sealing it in Epoxy or something else that is reef-safe while still maintaining the magnetic strength. How are you going to fashion the rocks? Are you going to 3D print them? are you going to find someone to mold them? Most of those floating Islands that are magnetic are made of hollowed pieces of plastic that look like a rock, but aren't really a rock... They're light.

If 3D Printing, don't use Nylon, use something like ABS or PETG, everyone says PLA is fine too, and while I don't think it will harm a tank, the longevity of PLA to me seems dubious... I don't think it will degrade after a couple of years, probably more like 10-20, but I do think it will degrade overtime... That's just my feeling though, I have no data to back it up...

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I buy plastic encapsulated neodymium magnets on eBay. I have quite a few things stuck on my back glass with these including floating islands. My big green toadstool is on a floating island along with the little green Monti to the right of my overflow in the second picture.
IMG_1747.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used an old powerhead magnet so it was already sealed. I used superglue and sand to bond it well to the rock. . . it worked but keep in mind rocks are heavy and if they stick out far from the glass you are working against leverage (I think. . . I am not an engineer. . . but the weight at the end of the rock is at the end of a lever basically. . . I think). Even with what I would consider a strong magnet my rock can easily be knocked looks by a human hand. No critters have been strong enough to knock it over though and now I have encrusting corals holding it too the wall. . .

TLDR: Use stronger magnets than you think you need.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back