How to make a Tank Last for 40 years with few problems

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In My Opinion, how I feel a reef tank could be run to last over forty years with "Almost" no problems.

First of all this will not be for Noobs as I realize most things printed for this hobby are. There are many other people besides Noobs and if many Noobs tried these methods, they would fail. Not because they are stupid or have knock knees, but because this hobby requires a level of experience that can not be taught by reading alone, but comes about by seeing with your own eyes and by making mistakes which unfortunately we all had to make at one point or another. After a number of years we can look at a fish and read it's mind, know how it feels, determine if it is lonely or has gas. I can look at my tank from across the street and determine if one fish has one scale out of place, but that takes time and nothing but time will teach that skill.

This will also not be for a very mature, successful aquarist who has a well run functioning, old system because those people, Me being one of them, are hard headed, stubborn and in many cases bald and we don't like people telling us how to run our system or show us how to dance. (watch, those will be the people argueing with me tomorrow, but that is fine, I would probably do the same thing and these people are friends of mine so it is just a friendly conversation until they throw eggs at my house. )

This is for the few people that fall in between those extremes. Those people I like to call in the "Fusion Zone" where they are not sure what to do. If they should put in a DSB, BB, keep moray eels, bake a cake, eat broccoil or forget about it and go bungee jumping.

I started with "In My Opinion" because virtually everyone will disagree with almost all of my ideas. I even disagree with some of them. (This is why I wrote a book)

If I were to start a new tank tomorrow I would do it exactly as I did when I started my tank 45 years ago. (with a few exceptions) In those days I used Natural Sea water and I realize most people can't do that and that is a shame. So if you must, use ASW. ASW has a few problems first of which it is actually "fake" sea water. Yes, it has "most" of the chemicals that we can measure in generally the same proportions but real sea water has everything in it that is on earth. Things from undersea volcanic vents, meteorites (some of which I assume contain substances we don't test for because we are not sure exactly what they are but Chewbacca spit may be one of them) everything that runs off land masses during storms, some good and not so good. Chemicals exuded by corals, algae, bacteria, viruses and Columbus wash water. It is questionable if these substances are good or not, but our fish evolved in them so I consider them natural and I want my tank to be as natural as possable. This is very important to me and to my fish. (But most of my tank water is also ASW)

You can of course run an un natural tank and have success as most tanks are run like that. But most tanks have problems.

Make believe I put "In My Opinion" before every sentence so when people argue with me, I can point to that.

I would start a tank with gravel, not sand (remember IMO) Sand can work very well and is needed with certain fish but after 45 years, gravel has seemed to work perfectly for me. Gravel has one huge benefit. Any detritus (which I do not feel is bad) hides in it and doesn't get blown around. "In My Tank" I would help the gravel by installing a reverse undergravel filter and running it very slow. (I will give you time to stop laughing now)

Thats enough time. If your tank has run longer than mine without a reverse undergravel filter, raise your hand. Thats what I thought.

People ask me if I were to start a tank tomorrow, if I would use a "better, more modern system". First you would have to show me that system which lasts longer. (Thats what I thought)

The reverse UG filter needs some maintenance just like The Space Shuttle, the Enterprize air craft carrier, your teeth, your car, your toenails and everything that works needs maintenance. The good thing about a Reverse UG filter is that it only needs a stirring once or twice a year and a filtering of whatever comes out of it. That is not because detritus is bad, but that it can clog in between the gravel grains.

A huge advantage of this systemis that oxygen will flow through the entire substrait nourishing worms, amphipods, copepods, brittle stars, Godzilla larvae and everything else that is at the bottom of the food chain. Remember, this is for a natural, immune tank.

The next thing I would do is (and remember to add " IMO" before every sentenance) buy a fish (not the most expensive or delicate fish there is) and if I started this tank with fake water, I would put it in a spare tank, not decorated with PVC but have real rocks in there, I would watch this fish for maybe a week and if it is not covered in parasites, I would put it in the Main tank. I did not say to quarantine for a reason and this is "my" theories and I did say IMO.

Yes, this can be "dangerous", but remember this tank does not have any coral in it yet. The fish you bought was hopefully collected a few weeks ago in the sea and all fish in the sea have some sort of immunity. That immunity will be severly tested in this new tank and may develop some sort of parasites. This is OK. (and actually preferable) Yes i did say that but this is how "I" would start a natural, immune tank.

If you are squeemish, you could put the fish in copper for about 10 days as that will kill parasites and not affect the fishes natural immunity. (Or you could stop reading and take a dance class, maybe Rhumba)

If I were a Noob I would not do this or know anything about it because I did say Noobs should not be reading this. Perhaps they would be watching a Soap Opera if they still have such things.

25 year old fireclowns spawning

As soon as I buy this fish I would try to feed it with live foods such as blackworms or earthworms. Just a couple of worms a day is fine because we are not that interested in the protein, but in the live bacteria in the worms. If you can't, or won't get worms, at least try to get clams. Live clams would be the best thing but I also realize many people live in Utah, the Sahara or Tunisia and can't get live anything except maybe Buffalo which is not the best food.

You can use frozen clams from a supermarket but my fear is that there may not be much living bacteria in a commercially frozen clam. If that is all you can get, then get that.

I did "not" say to feed squid, octopus, fish fillets, shrimp, chicken, taco's or anything else because we want the guts of the prey animal, not just the tentacles. This is very important.

As I said we are mainly interested in the live bacteria for this "natural" tank which By the way will also be an immune tank. I would also feed something like LRS food or some other commercially available food preferably with pro biotics added.

If you can't get foods with live bacteria, forget what you read so far and set up a good quarantine system as you will not be able to run a natural or immune tank. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. Just a different type of a system and a system that many successful people have. Just remember a quarantined fish must always be with quarantined fish as they will have no immunity from parasites.

Now when we added that first fish to our tank, we also added parasites AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO. Don't panic. A natural, immune tank needs parasites. Don't think of them as bad, but as "not very cute" poodle puppies. If this all works out, the parasites will live right along side your fish, maybe sampling a little slime occasionally while keeping your fish immune from the parasites.

Remember, fish have been living with parasites since they were invented, probably by Al Gore. Healthy fish are well equipped to handle parasites and parasites are needed if we are to keep our fish immune from them.

If, that fish we put into our tank becomes "covered" in parasites, we need to catch it and place it in copper at the proper dosage. This should not be viewed as a bad thing, I said there were parasites in there didn't I!. Do Not put copper or anything else in your main tank to kill parasites. If you see a couple of parasites, don't worry about it, maybe go out for a nice dinner of linguini and clams, try the merlot.

Now when you eliminate those parasites on that fish and continue to feed it the "proper" foods (which are not flakes, pellets or any dry foods of any kind) it will have an immunity from those parasites in that tank. But we need to feed the fish the foods I mentioned. (always) There are no short cuts and please don't mention "Quality" dry foods. All dry foods are Quality, but they are baked, sterilized and loaded with preservatives, if they were not, they would rot and virtually any great food will go bad very quickly without freezing unless it is live like a worm (the best food)

OK now we have the "hopefully" immune fish in there and we are feeding it the proper foods. Now we can buy another one and do the same thing.

But we must "always" feed the correct foods with living bacteria. It is OK if we go on vacation for a week to have someone come over and feed them oatmeal or TV dinners but only for a week.

A diatom filter is a great invention for a natural reef tank for a few reasons. If you would like to limit the number of parasites in your new tank, a diatom filter will severly restrict their numbers, but it won't cure anything by itself. I use a diatom filter to stir up my UG filter a couple of times a year, but any canister filter will do that.

If that new fish (or any fish) became covered in parasites, a diatom filter in conjunction with copper will cure that fish much faster and is similar to the tank transfer method which accomplishes almost the same thing. I sometimes purposely buy fish covered in parasites because i get them for free, a diatom filter and copper, in many cases clears these fish from parasites and they become great fish. Many of my fish I aquired like that and all my fish only die of old age.

Algae, cyano, flatworms, black ich, and a whole slew of other things seem to be a problem in this hobby and IMO there is no need to "Battle" these things. This is a hobby so there is no need to battle anything, if you want to battle, tell your wife she looks fat in those shorts.

Now the disclaimer:

This is as I keep saying my opinions from my experiences which span over 60 years. I did not come up with this last Tuesday and none of it came from a book or from a rumor or fish forum. It is all from my experience and I have kept many specimins of almost every fish available and have spawned many of them. I have also spent time under water with most of the fish we normally keep, but not Godzilla Larvae as they scare me. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love this. I'm working on collecting data from scientific studies that help show exactly why this works. It has proven challenging but I am convinced that, for those who can do it, this is the absolute best way to maintain an aquarium.

Want to highlight a few parts.
The fish you bought was hopefully collected a few weeks ago in the sea and all fish in the sea have some sort of immunity. That immunity will be severly tested in this new tank and may develop some sort of parasites. This is OK. (and actually preferable) Yes i did say that but this is how "I" would start a natural, immune tank.
This is really the hardest part. If you are lucky you will get a fish that is immune and retained its immunity throughout the transportation process. Under extreme stress a fish can temporarily lose this immunity in a matter of hours (not a problem) and can permanently lose it in as little as a week (much bigger problem).
To establish immunity in a fish without immunity I have found 3 methods that can be used. The first is to expose the fish to a lethal level of the parasite you want to establish an immunity to and then treat the fish. This cycle needs to be repeated a minimum of 4 times to give a high chance of success. The second is to expose the fish to a lower than lethal number of parasites multiple times and prevent the parasite from reproducing and reinfecting. Obviously, neither of those is practical for a hobbyist.
The method that can work is to use Ozone, a UV filter, or a diatom filter to reduce the number of parasites available to infect the fish. This is challenging at first but becomes easier once you build up your stocking levels. Your already immune fish will act as decoys to the low levels of parasites to reduce the number that attack the fish developing an immunity.

Now when we added that first fish to our tank, we also added parasites AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO. Don't panic. A natural, immune tank needs parasites. Don't think of them as bad, but as "not very cute" poodle puppies. If this all works out, the parasites will live right along side your fish, maybe sampling a little slime occasionally while keeping your fish immune from the parasites.
It is very important that immune fish are exposed to parasites. If a fish isn't exposed to the parasite for 6 months it begins to lose its immunity. You do not want this to happen so you need to ensure you keep parasites in your tank.

If you can't get foods with live bacteria, forget what you read so far and set up a good quarantine system as you will not be able to run a natural or immune tank. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. Just a different type of a system and a system that many successful people have. Just remember a quarantined fish must always be with quarantined fish as they will have no immunity from parasites.
This is more great advice. If you cannot feed your fish food with live bacteria as the main part of their diet, or if you cannot maintain stable tank parameters, or if you cannot maintain exposure to parasites, this method will not work. A very thorough QT procedure is vital. Don't feel like you can take a fish, put it in an aquarium and feed it frozen food without doing a quarantine. Can it work? Sure. Everyone can get lucky. Just remember that a QT is very cheap compared to the livestock you have at risk.

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In My Opinion, how I feel a reef tank could be run to last over forty years with "Almost" no problems.

First of all this will not be for Noobs as I realize most things printed for this hobby are. There are many other people besides Noobs and if many Noobs tried these methods, they would fail. Not because they are stupid or have knock knees, but because this hobby requires a level of experience that can not be taught by reading alone, but comes about by seeing with your own eyes and by making mistakes which unfortunately we all had to make at one point or another. After a number of years we can look at a fish and read it's mind, know how it feels, determine if it is lonely or has gas. I can look at my tank from across the street and determine if one fish has one scale out of place, but that takes time and nothing but time will teach that skill.

This will also not be for a very mature, successful aquarist who has a well run functioning, old system because those people, Me being one of them, are hard headed, stubborn and in many cases bald and we don't like people telling us how to run our system or show us how to dance. (watch, those will be the people argueing with me tomorrow, but that is fine, I would probably do the same thing and these people are friends of mine so it is just a friendly conversation until they throw eggs at my house. )

This is for the few people that fall in between those extremes. Those people I like to call in the "Fusion Zone" where they are not sure what to do. If they should put in a DSB, BB, keep moray eels, bake a cake, eat broccoil or forget about it and go bungee jumping.

I started with "In My Opinion" because virtually everyone will disagree with almost all of my ideas. I even disagree with some of them. (This is why I wrote a book)

If I were to start a new tank tomorrow I would do it exactly as I did when I started my tank 45 years ago. (with a few exceptions) In those days I used Natural Sea water and I realize most people can't do that and that is a shame. So if you must, use ASW. ASW has a few problems first of which it is actually "fake" sea water. Yes, it has "most" of the chemicals that we can measure in generally the same proportions but real sea water has everything in it that is on earth. Things from undersea volcanic vents, meteorites (some of which I assume contain substances we don't test for because we are not sure exactly what they are but Chewbacca spit may be one of them) everything that runs off land masses during storms, some good and not so good. Chemicals exuded by corals, algae, bacteria, viruses and Columbus wash water. It is questionable if these substances are good or not, but our fish evolved in them so I consider them natural and I want my tank to be as natural as possable. This is very important to me and to my fish. (But most of my tank water is also ASW)

You can of course run an un natural tank and have success as most tanks are run like that. But most tanks have problems.

Make believe I put "In My Opinion" before every sentence so when people argue with me, I can point to that.

I would start a tank with gravel, not sand (remember IMO) Sand can work very well and is needed with certain fish but after 45 years, gravel has seemed to work perfectly for me. Gravel has one huge benefit. Any detritus (which I do not feel is bad) hides in it and doesn't get blown around. "In My Tank" I would help the gravel by installing a reverse undergravel filter and running it very slow. (I will give you time to stop laughing now)

Thats enough time. If your tank has run longer than mine without a reverse undergravel filter, raise your hand. Thats what I thought.

People ask me if I were to start a tank tomorrow, if I would use a "better, more modern system". First you would have to show me that system which lasts longer. (Thats what I thought)

The reverse UG filter needs some maintenance just like The Space Shuttle, the Enterprize air craft carrier, your teeth, your car, your toenails and everything that works needs maintenance. The good thing about a Reverse UG filter is that it only needs a stirring once or twice a year and a filtering of whatever comes out of it. That is not because detritus is bad, but that it can clog in between the gravel grains.

A huge advantage of this systemis that oxygen will flow through the entire substrait nourishing worms, amphipods, copepods, brittle stars, Godzilla larvae and everything else that is at the bottom of the food chain. Remember, this is for a natural, immune tank.

The next thing I would do is (and remember to add " IMO" before every sentenance) buy a fish (not the most expensive or delicate fish there is) and if I started this tank with fake water, I would put it in a spare tank, not decorated with PVC but have real rocks in there, I would watch this fish for maybe a week and if it is not covered in parasites, I would put it in the Main tank. I did not say to quarantine for a reason and this is "my" theories and I did say IMO.

Yes, this can be "dangerous", but remember this tank does not have any coral in it yet. The fish you bought was hopefully collected a few weeks ago in the sea and all fish in the sea have some sort of immunity. That immunity will be severly tested in this new tank and may develop some sort of parasites. This is OK. (and actually preferable) Yes i did say that but this is how "I" would start a natural, immune tank.

If you are squeemish, you could put the fish in copper for about 10 days as that will kill parasites and not affect the fishes natural immunity. (Or you could stop reading and take a dance class, maybe Rhumba)

If I were a Noob I would not do this or know anything about it because I did say Noobs should not be reading this. Perhaps they would be watching a Soap Opera if they still have such things.

25 year old fireclowns spawning

As soon as I buy this fish I would try to feed it with live foods such as blackworms or earthworms. Just a couple of worms a day is fine because we are not that interested in the protein, but in the live bacteria in the worms. If you can't, or won't get worms, at least try to get clams. Live clams would be the best thing but I also realize many people live in Utah, the Sahara or Tunisia and can't get live anything except maybe Buffalo which is not the best food.

You can use frozen clams from a supermarket but my fear is that there may not be much living bacteria in a commercially frozen clam. If that is all you can get, then get that.

I did "not" say to feed squid, octopus, fish fillets, shrimp, chicken, taco's or anything else because we want the guts of the prey animal, not just the tentacles. This is very important.

As I said we are mainly interested in the live bacteria for this "natural" tank which By the way will also be an immune tank. I would also feed something like LRS food or some other commercially available food preferably with pro biotics added.

Remember, fish have been living with parasites since they were invented, probably by Al Gore. Healthy fish are well equipped to handle parasites and parasites are needed if we are to keep our fish immune from them.

If, that fish we put into our tank becomes "covered" in parasites, we need to catch it and place it in copper at the proper dosage. This should not be viewed as a bad thing, I said there were parasites in there didn't I!. Do Not put copper or anything else in your main tank to kill parasites. If you see a couple of parasites, don't worry about it, maybe go out for a nice dinner of linguini and clams, try the merlot.

Now when you eliminate those parasites on that fish and continue to feed it the "proper" foods (which are not flakes, pellets or any dry foods of any kind) it will have an immunity from those parasites in that tank. But we need to feed the fish the foods I mentioned. (always) There are no short cuts and please don't mention "Quality" dry foods. All dry foods are Quality, but they are baked, sterilized and loaded with preservatives, if they were not, they would rot and virtually any great food will go bad very quickly without freezing unless it is live like a worm (the best food)

OK now we have the "hopefully" immune fish in there and we are feeding it the proper foods. Now we can buy another one and do the same thing.

But we must "always" feed the correct foods with living bacteria. It is OK if we go on vacation for a week to have someone come over and feed them oatmeal or TV dinners but only for a week.

A diatom filter is a great invention for a natural reef tank for a few reasons. If you would like to limit the number of parasites in your new tank, a diatom filter will severly restrict their numbers, but it won't cure anything by itself. I use a diatom filter to stir up my UG filter a couple of times a year, but any canister filter will do that.

If that new fish (or any fish) became covered in parasites, a diatom filter in conjunction with copper will cure that fish much faster and is similar to the tank transfer method which accomplishes almost the same thing. I sometimes purposely buy fish covered in parasites because i get them for free, a diatom filter and copper, in many cases clears these fish from parasites and they become great fish. Many of my fish I aquired like that and all my fish only die of old age.

Algae, cyano, flatworms, black ich, and a whole slew of other things seem to be a problem in this hobby and IMO there is no need to "Battle" these things. This is a hobby so there is no need to battle anything, if you want to battle, tell your wife she looks fat in those shorts.

Now the disclaimer:

This is as I keep saying my opinions from my experiences which span over 60 years. I did not come up with this last Tuesday and none of it came from a book or from a rumor or fish forum. It is all from my experience and I have kept many specimins of almost every fish available and have spawned many of them. I have also spent time under water with most of the fish we normally keep, but not Godzilla Larvae as they scare me. :eek:

I love this train of thought! Makes more sense to me than bottles in my aquarium[emoji6]

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe ich in a closed system will eventually breed itself enough to water down their genes enough where they don't do much damage to the fish that's been around them the whole time.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this approach to a reef aquarium. What can be done with less is often done in vain with more! Life is a gift of nature, but beautiful living is the gift of wisdom. I've no doubt in Paul B's wisdom. Nature has the solution and patience for each and every "problem." I'm not sure nature has problems. I'm quite sure people have problems and lack patience. Hence the many different comings and goings of a vast array of products. I couldn't agree with you more regarding feeding whole living food. Flakes and pellets are the fast foods for fish. Yes they are convenient but when did fish become capable of digesting wheat and many of the other fillers or binding ingredients in these foods. Similarly, I've yet to meet a human being that lives upon fast food or out of a can, day in and day out who also enjoys great health and vitality. Sometimes it seems like Noobs look at water changes as something that shouldn't be required or isn't necessary. I ask, have you ever been in a building where the air is recirculated over and over again with little fresh air available? I doubt any would argue it fails in comparison to air surrounding a forrest or ocean coastline. Maybe it's time for someone to author a book on the psychology of reef keeping. Natures has shown us how to do reefs of awe and amazement. Marketers have proven just how gullible, obsessive and impatient we can be. If you build it they will buy it. No doubt the hobby has progressed. No longer do I have to wait a month for my next issue of Fish hobbyist magazine. Thanks to dedicated sites like reef2reef. I commend you on your article and can only hope all the gizmos and gadgets available to the hobby today don't distract and dissuade from the master reefer; that of Mother Nature.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul you always give interesting reads!

Can't say I agree with it all, but clearly it works for you. (Wait, we can disagree online and not fight!?!) I always wonder if a system works because of what the person does, or in spite of what the person does.

I do remember you saying times loosing lots of fish and coral and many ugly phases your tank has had. To me the biggest lesson you have taught is to not give up - which I feel is the greatest achievement of your system and something no other person has been able to do. Pretty amazing.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul always a pleasure reading your short novels and hearing them in person at our LFS....LOL You have all the reefing respect from me and I know the trials and tribulations of keeping a reef long term since mine as been running since 1989. Although I started with an UG filter etc...also I just couldn't maintain the water quality needed to keep SPS and a lot of fish....so the upgrades began.

um02122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting read.
I admire your tank's longevity.
I've been in the hobby for five years and I've still not setup a tank that I think could last more than ten years.
Being almost forty, it looks very unlikely I could even aspire getting a reef tank to be 46 yrs old (as I would be over my life expectancy).
While I don't have the courage to run a immune tank, I've retained the thoughts on proper fish food. This would at least give the fish some immunity against bacterial diseases.

And a thought: is it not possible to expose the fish to parasite's antigens instead of the active parasite (sort of a oral vaccine, would be difficult to inject your fish every six months).

Another thought: as you are approaching the last part of your life (I've seen you are not afraid of saying the truth and I'm pretty sure the truth is no one is immortal), any plans to ensure continuity of your successfully aged tank?

Kind regards,
Andrei
Tank dabbler (noob?)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought: as you are approaching the last part of your life (I've seen you are not afraid of saying the truth and I'm pretty sure the truth is no one is immortal), any plans to ensure continuity of your successfully aged tank?

I just saw this. I am certainly getting old as is my reef. I have no plans to keep it running and one day I will probably just put up a "Getting out of the Hobby" Thread and give everything away for free as I have never sold anything.
I would like to give it to someone who will continue my methods but those people are few and far between so I am afraid my tank will just eventually fade away. But it has had one heck of a run.
I realize many people don't believe in me or my methods and I am not sure why. My methods require very little maintenance, little water changing, no quarantine or hospital tanks, almost no testing, no medications, no carbon, GAC, bio pellets, controllers, dosers, oxidators, UV sterilizers or just about anything else. Just water and food with bacteria in it.
My water is far from perfect with 160 nitrates and PO4 of 2.0.
I get no coral eating nudibranchs, flatworms, white ich, black ich, bacterial infections or anything else.
I think virtually all the problems are brought on by ourselves. Fish are not delicate and don't require time to "settle down" when we buy them. They don't have a long memory so I don't think they remember the trip or the Styrofoam box or plastic bag. They just need a natural looking set up with hiding places that are not plastic. They need food they recognize with the bacteria and parasites they are used to eating. They need tank mates that don't chase them and most of all, they need an aquarist that has some common sense and doesn't go by rumors just because they have been taught forever. :rolleyes:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know a reverse undergravel filter kind of acts like a parasite trap now that i think if it, just a thought. They still sell undergravel filters?

Lots of people are interested in your method, ive seen at least a few posts detailing setting up a reverse undergravel filter inspired by you.

Its also possible that with an undergravel filter, all the detritus is binding any heavy metals which are known to causes stn or rtn. They even sell a detox based on tannin or something to bind the heavy metals. Difference is yours is free.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the UGF traps any parasites, as a matter of fact I think parasites love UGFs and go to them to dance and hang out. The gravel is full of life all the way to the bottom glass because oxygenates water is always present. Very few people use those filters because they read silly things like nitrogen factory, crashing, global warming etc. Those people never used one correctly.
I also don't think it would do anything for metal accumulation.
But this might.

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of setting up a reverse UG Filter in my sump/fuge using Pond Matrix.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have matrix and pond matrix over mine. Pods and many other critters are crawling all over it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what Pond Matrix is.

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaChem Matrix™ is a high porosity bio media that provides efficient bio filtration for the removal of nitrogenous waste, including nitrates via anaerobic de-nitrification deep inside the pore complex of this product. Matrix has macropores that are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. This allows Matrix™ to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter. Pond Matrix (which can be used in high flow, large aquarium filters too), provides internal macroporous surface area. These macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. This allows Pond Matrix, unlike other forms of biomedia, to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter (Pond Matrix is sufficiently sized that it does not require a filter bag).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back