How to make Fish-only tank "FOWLR", basically live?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi All - Happy New Year!

I have an 8ft 240Gallon tank with 40G sump (with skimmer, GFO reactor and LOTS of rocks, bio media/ slab/ balls. I have a lot 12 big fishes

My tank used to have sponges but 1.5 years back I had to use Copper that removed (large water changes) after 2 months and since then I have been changing water and run carbon, GFO, UV, Skimmer, siphoning sand, etc. every month but I do not see any sponge or coraline algae anywhere.

My tank must have good bacteria - as I have a LOT fishes and not too bad Nitrate and Phosphate - no disease for 1.5 years. I put in a bottle of Pods/ Copepods but I do not see any sponges and nor do I see the Pods/ Copepods.

Any thoughts if I am doing something off ... I do not want any reef but I do want sponges, coroaline algae ... what can I do to make my QT thrive? How will I know if my system is "Live" or not?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you test is there any trace of copper anymore? Coraline won't happen without sufficient Ca and Alk levels - and something to introduce it.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I tested my water with Hanna high range copper cheker and it tested 0.10 in test 1 and 0.03 in test 2 ... not sure for reasons for variance ... but yes I noticed Copper between 0.03 to 0.10 in my DT

Is that too high for rocks, sand, tank to house PODs/ Copepods and live organisms?

I plan to keep only fishes ... no interest in adding corals or anenemones ...

1. Does having PODs and COPEPODS and other organisms help a fish-only tank?
2. I do have a ton rocks that were live before for sure, now I do not know with the 0.10 level copper if the rocks are still live ... are they?

Appreciate your time and feedback.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those levels will keep invertebrates from thriving. Having pods in the tank helps the overall microbiome and can even provide a food source for some fish. Not sure how 'critical' it is for a FOWL tank though.
Your 'live' rock and sand - the biofilter - will be fine. You could try using Cuprisorb but I'm guessing the copper will keep seeping out of the rock for a long time.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think those levels will keep invertebrates from thriving. Having pods in the tank helps the overall microbiome and can even provide a food source for some fish. Not sure how 'critical' it is for a FOWL tank though.
Your 'live' rock and sand - the biofilter - will be fine. You could try using Cuprisorb but I'm guessing the copper will keep seeping out of the rock for a long time.
Its been 1.5 years since I last used Copper and did 15 water changes (30%) since then ...

I will the cuprisorb. Any other recommendations to reduce Copper? Specially if you have any personal experience with copper removing filters/ tools?

Amit.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the Cuprisorb - used it to clean up a QT system a while back and it did well. That system didn't have rock or sand though!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought— something I picked up somewhere. By now your copper may be near-zero, in that I believe the “high range” Hanna copper checker is poor (far less accurate/reliable) at “low” levels; just not designed for that purpose.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks folks for quick response!

For 240G water at 0.10 ppm copper, how much Cuprisorb would i need?

What is the byproduct of usinf Cuprisorb and can it hurt if it is over dozed (miss calculated)?

Amit.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just a thought— something I picked up somewhere. By now your copper may be near-zero, in that I believe the “high range” Hanna copper checker is poor (far less accurate/reliable) at “low” levels; just not designed for that purpose.
I would have thoight my DT to hsve lost all copper too ... 18 water changes (30%).. over 18 months ...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copper sinks into your rock and sand and is released later. A tank that's had copper medications in it will never be safe for invertebrates without copper-removing treatment.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tired makes a valid point, in that the copper will continue to leech out for some time to come; my only thought was that at some point a “high range” checker may not be useful to let you know how little copper remains. Anecdotally, I ‘nuked’ the same 6’ tank with copper 3 separate times due to Marine Velvet. Eventually (sand removal and many water changes later— same rocks, however) I dropped a large hermit crab in and he kept on truckin’... even though a high range Hanna Checker said (?) there was still detectable copper. So your mileage with inverts may vary. (I would think that shrimp might be the most iffy.)

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks folks for quick response!

For 240G water at 0.10 ppm copper, how much Cuprisorb would i need?

What is the byproduct of usinf Cuprisorb and can it hurt if it is over dozed (miss calculated)?

Amit.
bump

Anyone any recommend how to calculate how much Cuprisorb to put when 240G tank shows 0.10 PPM copper?

Or should I put in just the 50 ml (10 ml per 50G doze) ... assuming that doze is for water with any level of Copper?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Cuprisorb doesn't have instructions then I've no idea. But I imagine just from the water volume that it'll need a lot.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back