How to prep dry rock for tank

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I've kept reef tanks in the past, but taken a several year hiatus due to moving around. I'm settling back into a house and looking to get a small reef set back up. I kept all of my old rock, but it has all been stored dry. I also have some BRS dry rock that I had purchased, that is straight out of the box. I ended up breaking down the tanks before doing anything with it. What's the best way to get the rock prepped to go back into a new tank? I know recommendations range anywhere from toss it in the tank and wait, to bleach baths, to acid baths. Just trying to get a crash course to see what the best option is. Thanks.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it is unused rock you can rinse it with rodibefore putting it in a tank. If you have some time on your hands you can put it in a Rubbermaid tote or garbage can with a heater, pump and add some live rock and let it do its thing ahead of getting your tank set up.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I've kept reef tanks in the past, but taken a several year hiatus due to moving around. I'm settling back into a house and looking to get a small reef set back up. I kept all of my old rock, but it has all been stored dry. I also have some BRS dry rock that I had purchased, that is straight out of the box. I ended up breaking down the tanks before doing anything with it. What's the best way to get the rock prepped to go back into a new tank? I know recommendations range anywhere from toss it in the tank and wait, to bleach baths, to acid baths. Just trying to get a crash course to see what the best option is. Thanks.
Here's what I do. I have a bunch of rock that a guy gave me after breaking down his tank and having it sit in his yard for while. First I blasted it off with a poweressher (optional but I had easy access to one so why not. Use a hose otherwise. Then I soaked it in a bleach solution. I just put the rock in a tote added enough water to cover it and dumped in a gallon of bleach. Then I let it sit for a week. Pulled it out, drained, rinsed and then back into the tote for a declhorinator soak. Then 2more week long soaks in RO. Probably overkill but I was still building my tank so, meh.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bunch of new caribsea rock last month and was in a similar situation. I did 3 weeks in RO/DI water, with a 100% water change in the middle. Now its sitting for 2-4 weeks in saltwater with some GFO. My whole goal is to reduce any phosphates that always seem to bite me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back