How to properly use milwaukee digital refractometer

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is frustrating me a bit. It fluctuates between 1.025 and 1.026. The same sample on the prism will say 1.026, then 1.025 a minute later. I just did a w/c and tried to mix new water to 1.025. It said 1.026, so i added a bit of fresh to it. It then tested .025, i did a second test to confirm, and it was back to .026. I re-read the instructions, and followed them. I calibrated to zero with the included solution, then took my sample and waited a minute for temp to equalize. No matter what i do, it fluctuates. I finally just used the water. So basically all i know is that it was either .025 or .026. Is this normal and does this happen to you? I feel like i dont know for sure what my salinity is.
According to the manual, the unit is accurate plus/minus .002 so I think it would be perfectly normal to get the two readings you are getting.

outeastreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the milwaukee digital hydrometer. To calibrate I use a Tropic Marin atm51002 precision hydrometer. seems very accurate.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Milwaukee unit as well. ( I got some very poor responses from them on calibrating/cleaning) Randy set things right. In any event, I like the unit. I cross check it occasionally with my hand held refractometer and a glass floating hydrometer. It's all good.

OP
OP
S

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I didnt expect such a huge response. I guess this thing is very popular. I will check mine with the seawater calibration fluid and report back.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered one and have it coming next week. My refractometer has been drifting too much lately and not holding the calibration. In the past my refractometer would be stable and hold the calibration for a while. I always calibrate before testing and for the most part it would be just a little off, if any. Recently it's been way off and needing a big adjustment every time. Last night after calibrating I tested the sample water, it read 1.023 instead of 1.025 like it's always been. So I calibrated again and it was out already after the initial calibration a few minutes earlier, even after waiting a minute each time for the refractometer to temperature adjust. That was the last straw and I ordered the Milwaukee.

OP
OP
S

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i just spent some time playing with it. I calibrated to zero, and then checked it with the included 1.025 solution. It measured 1.025 twice in a row. So i guess my unit is dead on. Its saying my tank is 1.025 to 1.026. I am just going to use and rely on it.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tagging along on this. My handheld light refractometer says my tank is right at 1.0265 but the Milwaukee says 1.035, no matter how many times I calibrate it. I am getting ready to return it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tagging along on this. My handheld light refractometer says my tank is right at 1.0265 but the Milwaukee says 1.035, no matter how many times I calibrate it. I am getting ready to return it.

Presumably they will disagree on a 35 ppt standard as well, and you can tell which, if either, is accurate. :)

OP
OP
S

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny part is that the bottle states 1.025 however everytime I calibrate and try it mine shows 1.026!
I have warmed up to my meter now. It is working great. When calibrated to zero, it reads exactly 1.025 with the included solution, everytime. I always calibrate to zero with each use, rinse the prism with the water to be tested, then get my sample, and wait about a minute for the temp to equalize. after i am done with it, I run the prism under the tap to rinse so theres no salt residue to throw off my measurements next time. Its been great and I maintain my tank at 1.025 with it no issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back