How to prune Sinularia leather

  • Thread starter Thread starter betareef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

betareef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2024
Messages
543
Reaction score
540
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tree shaped sinularia leather coral that is growing so quickly, I think I need to prune it back.

How do I do this? Do I just cut branches off with a pair of scissors? Can I do this in the tank, or do I need to remove it?
 
In Tank, scissors (sharp, new ones are best)....one clean quick cut.
Rinse scissors under tap water after use, and wipe dry.
I use cheap HD ones....

Thanks for the fast reply. Great to hear the simple way is going to work. ;)
 
I’ve done this multiple times, scissors work great but I just use my bone cutters. I put the frag in a plastic bowl with rock rubble and place it on the sand in a low flow area. In a week or two it will attach to a piece of rubble and you can place it where you wantor in my case give it away or take it to my lfs. The part where you cur will eventually begin growing polyps.
1AA069C0-CD9C-4F82-8675-21942E6BB156.jpeg
 
I’ve done this multiple times, scissors work great but I just use my bone cutters. I put the frag in a plastic bowl with rock rubble and place it on the sand in a low flow area. In a week or two it will attach to a piece of rubble and you can place it where you wantor in my case give it away or take it to my lfs. The part where you cur will eventually begin growing polyps.
1AA069C0-CD9C-4F82-8675-21942E6BB156.jpeg


Sounds easy. I won't need to keep the frag however, I don't need more of this coral :)
 
I prefer to use a razor blade-easier for me to cut exactly where I want, and after a few uses can discard when it starts getting rusty.
 
Can you slice it at the base?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new