How to reduce alkalinity

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have come to the conclusion that my SPS are suffering from alk burn. A recent uptick in nitrates from 0-16 has caused algae to begin growing on the tips and on my monti.

I feel the two options here are to raise nutrients or lower alk. I have chosen to lower alk since I would ultimately like to starve the algae and lower nutrients again. What is the best way to lower my alk?

Current parameters:
Alk: 9.4 (started having problem at 9)
Ca: 460
Mg: 1410
No3: 12 (0 for last 3 months until late last week)
Po4: 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it drop or feed a bit more. SPS can be kept at alk way higher than that but just need high flow, high light, and consistent feeding (mine are at an alk averaging 12.5). Honestly I would just dose something like reef energy and let it fall.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it drop or feed a bit more. SPS can be kept at alk way higher than that but just need high flow, high light, and consistent feeding (mine are at an alk averaging 12.5). Honestly I would just dose something like reef energy and let it fall.
The problem is it doesn’t appear they’re consuming it anymore. I was dosing acropower but have since stopped. I plan to start again once I see signs of recovery

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to dose some PO4. This will be consumed in conjunction with your NO3 and the end result should be a lowering of your Alk, plus possibly some algae control.
Whatever you decide to do, do only that 1 thing to start with, and take it slow.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to dose some PO4. This will be consumed in conjunction with your NO3 and the end result should be a lowering of your Alk, plus possibly some algae control.
Whatever you decide to do, do only that 1 thing to start with, and take it slow.
Any recommendations for Po4 products?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is it doesn’t appear they’re consuming it anymore. I was dosing acropower but have since stopped. I plan to start again once I see signs of recovery

I think if phosphate is the issue, you want food that contains it. Acropower is strictly nitrogen (amino acids).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dose neophos in my tank and it works well

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first question should be how are you maintaining your alkalinity? C02 Reactor, Dosing, manual 2 part, water changes, kalk? 9 to 9.4 might not be something you want to yo-yo between daily but nothing to be alarmed about either.

The second question is how are you testing? Are you testing at the same time? Have you verified the test is accurate?

I personally don't stress over specific numbers but instead, look for trends. Is my alk staying relatively stable, is it continuing to going up, down. I adjust wit the goal of minimizing the size of any swings.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into that. Thanks! Also with regard to acropower. I stopped but I am trying to feed my fish a little heavier. I do have fuel as well, not sure if that has more phosphate in it

Fuel works too. Just don't overdose that as it has trace elements too. You can always use neophos too as a phosphate corrective. That is what I use as typically my phosphate drains but my nitrates stay steady.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first question should be how are you maintaining your alkalinity? C02 Reactor, Dosing, manual 2 part, water changes, kalk? 9 to 9.4 might not be something you want to yo-yo between daily but nothing to be alarmed about either.

The second question is how are you testing? Are you testing at the same time? Have you verified the test is accurate?

I personally don't stress over specific numbers but instead, look for trends. Is my alk staying relatively stable, is it continuing to going up, down. I adjust wit the goal of minimizing the size of any swings.
I check daily at 4pm with a Hanna check and dose daily via doser. I have kept alk around 8.3-8.4 but accidentally upped my dose and forgot to change it back on the doser so it climbed .7 over 3 days

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuel works too. Just don't overdose that as it has trace elements too. You can always use neophos too as a phosphate corrective. That is what I use as typically my phosphate drains but my nitrates stay steady.
Definitely going to look into the neophos! I’ll try some small water changes first

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might also try ReefRoids for coral food... it tends to boost PO4 levels.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti caps can be sensitive to alk spikes, but the rest of the montipora family, especially digis could care less.

The spike in nitrate is likely caused by phosphate being depleted by algae. Algae growing on tips of coral means that part is dead. I'm with the crew that advises raising phosphate a bit.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti caps can be sensitive to alk spikes, but the rest of the montipora family, especially digis could care less.

The spike in nitrate is likely caused by phosphate being depleted by algae. Algae growing on tips of coral means that part is dead. I'm with the crew that advises raising phosphate a bit.
Interesting, it looks like there is still flesh on the tips. I’d definitely like to raise phosphate a bit regardless of what I do with alk. I had a suspicion my phosphate became depleted when I was unable to feed my fish for a few days. With regard to alk burn, I became a little worried about it when I noticed how quickly some of my Acros were growing. My purple dragon frag had pretty large white growth tips on the end. That’s what led me to believe it was alk burn combined with a nitrate spike

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WC, Vinegar, or let the coral consume it.

No on the vinegar. It is not a way to lower alk. The effect is temporary until the vinegar is metabolized by bacteria, then it all comes back.

A mineral acid is needed, such as HCl or H2SO4 or NaHSO4.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back