How to Remove Encrusting SPS Coral from Rock Without Removing Rock from Tank

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to remove some SPS from the rockscape without removing the rock from the tank. Corals have incrusted and I am curious on how to remove the encrusting portion of the coral. I have a sodium hydroxide solution that I have used to kill Aptasia in the past and wondering if that would work? Would appreciate to hear any other methods if there are any.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to remove some SPS from the rockscape without removing the rock from the tank. Corals have incrusted and I am curious on how to remove the encrusting portion of the coral. I have a sodium hydroxide solution that I have used to kill Aptasia in the past and wondering if that would work? Would appreciate to hear any other methods if there are any.
Calcium hydroxide works well, just turn off the flow (or at least get it down to a minimum). Mix the hydroxide into a thick paste (like you would for aiptasia) and use a syringe to coat the coral. Allow 20 minutes and then turn on the pumps. Being sure to watch the clumps of hydroxide so that they don't lant on any other coral.

Keep in mind thatbthis is going to raise your alk and calcium so do it moderately not to exceed what your tank can handle.

I've done this in the past to weed out the montiporas. If it's a large area donitnin sections.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium hydroxide works well, just turn off the flow (or at least get it down to a minimum). Mix the hydroxide into a thick paste (like you would for aiptasia) and use a syringe to coat the coral. Allow 20 minutes and then turn on the pumps. Being sure to watch the clumps of hydroxide so that they don't lant on any other coral.

Keep in mind thatbthis is going to raise your alk and calcium so do it moderately not to exceed what your tank can handle.

I've done this in the past to weed out the montiporas. If it's a large area donitnin sections.
So, you would recommend Calcium hydroxide vs Sodium hydroxide for the coral? I used Calcium hydroxide in the past for Aptasia then switched to Sodium hydroxide because it took a much smaller amount to kill them, basically immediately. I am talking only a drop in the mouth and they dissolved.
I will give the Calcium hydroxide a try.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you would recommend Calcium hydroxide vs Sodium hydroxide for the coral? I used Calcium hydroxide in the past for Aptasia then switched to Sodium hydroxide because it took a much smaller amount to kill them, basically immediately. I am talking only a drop in the mouth and they dissolved.
I will give the Calcium hydroxide a try.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Are you able to create a paste with sodium hydroxide? I don't think you can. And I wouldn't risk sodium hydroxide because of how much more potent it is.

I would stick with calcium hydroxide.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put an aggressive coral near it and let it work itself out, if your aquascape is glued together/is too big to take it out than that could work, Just make sure it's not too close to another coral and not an encruster/fast grower, think galaxea if it's far enough away from other coral

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately chiseling may be difficult to chisel a section of the rock in my case due to the rock is flat.
I was mainly stating to use it as a prying mechanism if your not saving the coral just chisel a chunk til you can see base rock then try and chisel a lip off of it.....insert chisel under lip and try and pry it off....idk its what i have done

alpacaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe put an aggressive coral near it and let it work itself out, if your aquascape is glued together/is too big to take it out than that could work, Just make sure it's not too close to another coral and not an encruster/fast grower, think galaxea if it's far enough away from other coral
That’s a pretty genius natural solution, good thinking

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some epoxy putty, cover it completely, let it go for a month or so then pry up the hard putty (or keep it there forever if you don’t mind it).

I did this for only 2 or 3 weeks and my montipora came back, lol. Not sure how it survived with no flow, food or light for 3 weeks.

I like to make a thin sheet, put a little super glue here and there to help it stick and cover. A 4oz thing of JB waterweld can cover about a 5”x5” area

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to shade it out with another coral?

Curious to know what the OP did
I ended up making a Sodium Hydroxide solution with 62ml of RODI with 1tsp of Sodium Hydroxide in a small jar. Poured a small amount in a small glass bowl and added a small amount of Calcium Hydroxide to give it some color so I could see what I was covering. With return pump and Vortech's turned off, I covered the encrusting part of the coral with approximately 3-4ml of solution. After 15min I syphoned out a majority of the solution along with the dissolving flesh of the coral. Be aware that it will leave the area of the rock discolored. When I turned the pumps back on, some solution that did not syphon out that was crystalized blew around the tank for a few minutes until it was no longer visible. I did not see any increase in PH but then again my total water volume at the time was 255gal.

What I used.
20231025_091020.jpg

This is the final result after syphon and pumps on. The discoloration of the rock will eventually be covered up so I am not to worried about it.
20231025_091513.jpg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty genius natural solution, good thinking
Sure especially if you want to post again for suggestions of how to get rid of the new invasive coral you introduced for the previous one :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back