How to remove nitrates without affecting phosphate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jayteerq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jayteerq

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2024
Messages
841
Reaction score
425
Location
Worcester, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nitrate - 50
Phosphate - 0.1

How can I remove nitrate without stripping phosphates clean? I’m going to reduce feeding and do a 10% water change. I understand water changes will only remove 10% of my nitrate level so it’s not much. I have a skimmer and refugium in my all in one tank. Anything else I can do? Does brightwell have anything good I can dose with?
 
Nitrate - 50
Phosphate - 0.1

How can I remove nitrate without stripping phosphates clean? I’m going to reduce feeding and do a 10% water change. I understand water changes will only remove 10% of my nitrate level so it’s not much. I have a skimmer and refugium in my all in one tank. Anything else I can do? Does brightwell have anything good I can dose with?
I would advice doing multiple larger water changes. Around 25-30 %. Water changes will drop your nitrates but will not have a very significant impact on your phosphate levels.
 
Last edited:
I would advice doing multiple larger water changes. Around 25-30 %. Water changes will drop your nitrates but will not have a very significant effect on your phosphate levels.
Dang I only have a 10 gallon bucket. And my tank is a 65g. I have a bunch of 5gal buckets but no way to heat them all at the same time. My living space is small
 
Dang I only have a 10 gallon bucket. And my tank is a 65g. I have a bunch of 5gal buckets but no way to heat them all at the same time. My living space is small
Maybe you could get a 20 gal rubbermaid bin
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new