How to remove nuisance epilates on macro surfaces.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really want to sterilize, or is disinfection acceptable?

In my effort to eliminate pest introduction, I killed the seaweed. Last week in a conversation with Russ Kronwetter, diver/owner of Gulf Coast EcoSystem / liveplants.com. Russ outlined where sponges were collected which assisted me with their husbandry requirements. During the conversation, he clarified a misconception that I had on sterilization of epilates from macroalgae surfaces. In many cases, seaweed required bacteria to coexist. In many cases, the seaweed died. I used hydrogen peroxide as disinfectant.

If I must disinfect, I will start with fresh water dip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ichthyogeek
Look at the first few post on this thread. In general with respect to nuisance algae growth on macro algae surface, it depends on the host and the invader.

This week, I have been dealing with epilates growing on several ornamental macros. GHA is abundant in many unattended areas of my systems and given an opportunity will cover most anything.

I find small astrae snails the best all around janitor for cleaning nuisance micro algae without damaging macro algae.

For out of tank treatment, try soapy fresh water.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the osmotic pressure angle of the freshwater bath. Unicellular stuff would probably explode fairly quickly, but I’m not sure what the tolerances of the macros would be.
I have used freshwater rinses to clean my macros without any issues. But I doubt it could be considered disinfecting.

Adding a detergent seems like that would be the trick, but I would worry that I would contaminate my tank with it.

when I used freshwater or saltwater with peroxide, it did damage the macros.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ichthyogeek
Look at the first few post on this thread. In general with respect to nuisance algae growth on macro algae surface, it depends on the host and the invader.

This week, I have been dealing with epilates growing on several ornamental macros. GHA is abundant in many unattended areas of my systems and given an opportunity will cover most anything.

I find small astrae snails the best all around janitor for cleaning nuisance micro algae without damaging macro algae.

For out of tank treatment, try soapy fresh water.
I'll definitely look into the paper! This is fascinating! I'll add it to the experiments list (be warned: I'm at 50 experiments on the list so it might take a long while to do so...)! I wonder how AlgaeBarn does it...

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used freshwater rinses to clean my macros without any issues. But I doubt it could be considered disinfecting.

Adding a detergent seems like that would be the trick, but I would worry that I would contaminate my tank with it.

when I used freshwater or saltwater with peroxide, it did damage the macros.

How long to soak in fresh water?

@Dana Riddle said it best: Sanitize/Not Sterilize

At this time in the hobby, pest free, sterilized start up with one strain of bacteria in a bottle to do all the microbial work required in a marine ecosystem seems to be a prevailing theme.

When Martin Moe said about the hobby, “Reefing is not rocket science, it’s more complicated”, I knew I was hooked.

Nomatter if we can accept it or not, bacteria are the microbial overlords in our marine systems. Just to study the complexity of biofilm on macro algae surfaces requires a combined ecological, microbiological and biochemical approach.

Abstract
Seaweed-associated bacteria play a crucial role in morphogenesis and growth of seaweeds (macroalgae) in direct and/or indirect ways. Bacterial communities belonging to the phyla Proteobacteria and Firmicutes are generally the most abundant on seaweed surfaces. Associated bacterial communities produce plant growth-promoting substances, quorum sensing signalling molecules, bioactive compounds and other effective molecules that are responsible for normal morphology, development and growth of seaweeds. Also, bioactive molecules of associated bacteria determine the presence of other bacterial strains on seaweeds and protect the host from harmful entities present in the pelagic realm. The ecological functions of cross-domain signalling between seaweeds and bacteria have been reported as liberation of carpospores in the red seaweeds and settlement of zoospores in the green seaweeds. In the present review, the role of extracellular polymeric substances in growth and settlement of seaweeds spores is also highlighted. To elucidate the functional roles of associated bacteria and the molecular mechanisms underlying reported ecological phenomena in seaweeds requires a combined ecological, microbiological and biochemical approach.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long to soak in fresh water?

@Dana Riddle said it best: Sanitize/Not Sterilize

At this time in the hobby, pest free, sterilized start up with one strain of bacteria in a bottle to do all the microbial work required in a marine ecosystem seems to be a prevailing theme.

When Martin Moe said about the hobby, “Reefing is not rocket science, it’s more complicated”, I knew I was hooked.

Nomatter if we can accept it or not, bacteria are the microbial overlords in our marine systems. Just to study the complexity of biofilm on macro algae surfaces requires a combined ecological, microbiological and biochemical approach.

Abstract
Seaweed-associated bacteria play a crucial role in morphogenesis and growth of seaweeds (macroalgae) in direct and/or indirect ways. Bacterial communities belonging to the phyla Proteobacteria and Firmicutes are generally the most abundant on seaweed surfaces. Associated bacterial communities produce plant growth-promoting substances, quorum sensing signalling molecules, bioactive compounds and other effective molecules that are responsible for normal morphology, development and growth of seaweeds. Also, bioactive molecules of associated bacteria determine the presence of other bacterial strains on seaweeds and protect the host from harmful entities present in the pelagic realm. The ecological functions of cross-domain signalling between seaweeds and bacteria have been reported as liberation of carpospores in the red seaweeds and settlement of zoospores in the green seaweeds. In the present review, the role of extracellular polymeric substances in growth and settlement of seaweeds spores is also highlighted. To elucidate the functional roles of associated bacteria and the molecular mechanisms underlying reported ecological phenomena in seaweeds requires a combined ecological, microbiological and biochemical approach.
It was a few minutes in fresh water. I did not really set a timer. Maybe I’ll do a check right now with some Chaeto and red Halymenia. I’ll try 5 minutes in Tap water (dechlorinated).

I did the dip in the past to try to remove ICH/velvet trophonts prior to adding to my tank (no clue if this even works or if trophonts attach to macroalgae) and later to remove Chrysophyte.

Bacteria was actually something I wanted to add to my tank at the time. I’ll check out that article after I dip.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 5 minute dip in fresh water. Used turkey baster to blast the macro. Tied it back up in the tank with some fishing line so I know which macro was dipped.
D63DED23-0FF0-4373-B21A-7C5D0D8F530E.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bortacladia that was dark burgundy when I received it. Some I put near the surface on my 120G mixed garden. Color change of Red Grapes went from burgundy to orange/yellow within a few days, then epilets of hair algae started growing on Bortacladia. I pruned and removed sections with observed GHA and put the rest to be curated by Copepods & small Astrae snails in my “macro clean”reaction. In the same 120G tank I had placed Bortacladia in a shady spot to maintain dark burgundy color with good results until astrae starfish eat the surface biofilm on Red Grapes with a resultant white fuzzy bacterial/fungus film developed resulting in composted red grapes.

In this same 120G tank, I use Caulerpa Prolifera to make a meadow in the substrate. In effect, an intank algae refugium. GHA started to develop on C Prolifera blades. In most cases, swishing it around was sufficient to dislodge GHA. I pruned and exported what did not readily clean.

It is my belief that healthy macro can fend off invasion of epiletes using their own defense system.

image.jpg

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%

Back