How to remove palys

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nemo1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nemo1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
160
Reaction score
48
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best way to remove the palys while keeping the Kenya tree still alive, the Kenya tree is getting big and want to move into another tank, don’t want palys in other tank

374FC3F5-5AAC-41B6-B261-8C235FBC6379.jpeg A96FD463-7CEA-4A75-8286-B6354B02B8CB.jpeg
 
Be careful of palytoxins , use proper gloves and eye wear. You can easily scrape them off with a razor or take the rock out and blow torch them haha.
 
If I cut them off with a razor will it be alright to just put the rock back into the tank straight after? And if I can’t get right to the base will they grow back?
 
If I cut them off with a razor will it be alright to just put the rock back into the tank straight after? And if I can’t get right to the base will they grow back?

They aren't as resilient as GSP or other invasive corals. With a sharp razor you should be able to cut them off with relative ease. As the earlier poster mentions, the biggest concern is potential palytoxin poisoning.
 
Is there anything I can do to make sure it won’t affect the rest of the tank when I put it in? If I cut them with a razor then put in a separate salt water bucket to clean the area the toxin will effect the Kenya tree?
 
i would do it in a bucket and then rinse with new saltwater before putting in another tank. That is what i would do anyway
 
The toxins will not affect any of your corals. I am mostly trying to protect you from it. Do some research on it and you will see why most people do not want them and remove them. I personally like them and have an area of my tank for zoas and palys.
 
Use F-Aptasia and kill them. F-Aptasia encases what your trying to get rid of and basically smothers it. You can get rid of Aptasia and pesky zoas and pallys with it.
 
I use an Xacto knife to prune mine. I've never had any of them grow back where I've removed one.
 
i would do it in a bucket and then rinse with new saltwater before putting in another tank. That is what i would do anyway
Agreed, scrape them over another bucket with tank water, rinse several times, would also recommend iodine dip then it’s safe to put back I water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new