How to run a quarantine tank

Melodydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! New to quarantine tank. I don't know if I should medicate my quarantine tank when all the fish look healthy and are eating. Please let me know if I should medicate them anyway.
Thank you. :)

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many doubts about the QT tank just like you, but I learned that the QT tank and the hospital tank are different things, having said that, configure a tank to feed and make your fish strong, observe them and take care of fattening them and giving them the least stress possible, rule out illnesses and monitor their behavior, 8-10 weeks should be enough, but if something goes wrong then the hospital tank will kick in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! New to quarantine tank. I don't know if I should medicate my quarantine tank when all the fish look healthy and are eating. Please let me know if I should medicate them anyway.
Thank you. :)
Good to hear you are going the quarantine route! It won't solve all of your fish health problems, but it will contain them in a place where your other animals are protected from them. I prefer to use an active quarantine - too many times people go with just observing, but then, a disease process gets going and by the time it is noticed, you are chasing a full blown disease, and some, like velvet, only give you a few days to react.

The first page on this link is where I keep my current quarantine protocol:

Jay

OP
OP
Melodydavis

Melodydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear you are going the quarantine route! It won't solve all of your fish health problems, but it will contain them in a place where your other animals are protected from them. I prefer to use an active quarantine - too many times people go with just observing, but then, a disease process gets going and by the time it is noticed, you are chasing a full blown disease, and some, like velvet, only give you a few days to react.

The first page on this link is where I keep my current quarantine protocol:

Jay
Jay - thank you for your in depth QT protocol!!!!!!

OP
OP
Melodydavis

Melodydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many doubts about the QT tank just like you, but I learned that the QT tank and the hospital tank are different things, having said that, configure a tank to feed and make your fish strong, observe them and take care of fattening them and giving them the least stress possible, rule out illnesses and monitor their behavior, 8-10 weeks should be enough, but if something goes wrong then the hospital tank will kick in.
Hi Laloj: Thank you for your advice. It is so stressful trying to figure things out on my own.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back