How to set up algae scrubber?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do this with a pump and gravity, and not connect to my drain from the tank at all? Is there a better way?

Plan was to run scrubber and fuge, so I could get a healthy pod population...... I guess I don’t really “need” pods, so if I were to dedicate the space in the sump for more media, what should it be? In what order? and where should I have the algae scrubber plumbed to/from.

Can I pump from sump, through scrubber, and drain to return section of sump without directly plumbing the scrubber to to the display?

For sump, would it be pump in the first section or fuge section (which will now have????? rock? Media blocks? what? ). then drain to return-pump section?

I am worried a pump that is too strong (greater than return flow FROM display, would cause issues here though.

It’s a clear-water 100 scrubber and Trigger 39 sump. I would just put a shelf in the stand and mount the scrubber above whatever section I want it to gravity-drain into

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do this with a pump and gravity, and not connect to my drain from the tank at all? Is there a better way?

Plan was to run scrubber and fuge, so I could get a healthy pod population...... I guess I don’t really “need” pods, so if I were to dedicate the space in the sump for more media, what should it be? In what order? and where should I have the algae scrubber plumbed to/from.

Can I pump from sump, through scrubber, and drain to return section of sump without directly plumbing the scrubber to to the display?

For sump, would it be pump in the first section or fuge section (which will now have????? rock? Media blocks? what? ). then drain to return-pump section?

I am worried a pump that is too strong (greater than return flow FROM display, would cause issues here though.

It’s a clear-water 100 scrubber and Trigger 39 sump. I would just put a shelf in the stand and mount the scrubber above whatever section I want it to gravity-drain into

Use a separate pump for the scrubber. You will need something that can feed the scrubber around 300gph for that model.

DO NOT plumb it into a tank return. The flow and pressure will not always be the same.

If you have any other questions about setting it up, please let me know!

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a separate pump for the scrubber. You will need something that can feed the scrubber around 300gph for that model.

DO NOT plumb it into a tank return. The flow and pressure will not always be the same.

If you have any other questions about setting it up, please let me know!

Thanks. So Pump in the section before my skimmer, and just let the outlet flow into the section that has my return pump?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trigger 26 sump. Similar layout to your Trigger 39, just a it smaller. I have a dedicated pump valved back to get the appropriate flow rate for my my Turbo’s ATS. The ATS is running in the dedicated fuge section of the sump. Hopefully, this picture can help give you ideas for your ATS layout in your sump.

C56207F0-7088-4B63-A2BB-A60E49011C69.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my ATS from the sump with a pump also.

Pump is in the first section of my sump(where skimmer is), I then drain the ATS into what was my fuge section(typical 3 chamber sump). In this manner I only slow down the flow going over the baffles and do not effect the levels in the return section so my ATO doesn't go haywire.

I put extra rock rubble in my "old" fuge section to bolster the pod population. Seems to work as I have plenty of pods to feed a happy mated pair of mandys, and when I clean my ATS, I have a million pods on the bottom of my ATS.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my DiY scrubber from the siphon drain of my bean overflow (modified bean actually because I have three siphon to feed various things). I am all for taking advantage of gravity and avoiding yet another pump.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back