How to setup a Live Camera to View your Reef Tank

The Dro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking to view your tank remotely, I am going to be writing an article showing what equipment you can use and how to integrate it into your system. As of right now, there are a few different ways you can go about it.
One way is pointing an IP Megapixel camrea that's pointed at your tank and you'd then use an application on your PC, browser, or smart device to log into the camera whenever you want in order to view the tank. You won't need to worry about having a static IP. I know of a few different ways you can get around that. Most ISPs wont even allow you to get a static IP unless you have a commercial address anyway.

My brother has the Neptune apex system and I saw that there's an area in there where you can input the IP to a camera you want streaming on your dashboard. This is another option since you can directly integrate your live stream onto your monitoring system.

reef-video-monitoring.jpg

If you're interested in setting this up, I work for a company that manufactures IP cameras as well as analog surveillance systems. I'm going to grab one and hook it up to his system to see how it all works out but I'll gladly help any of you out who may not be as experienced with these products.

One last thing... If you're going to be watching your live stream remotely (meaning outside of your home) then you're going to have to setup port forwarding with your router so that you can access your internal network at home. Just ask me any questions you may have on here or privately and I'll do my best to help you guys out. I'll post images of everything once we have it set up on our tanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to this article. :)

OP
OP
The Dro

The Dro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to post the name of the company I work for so it's not like I'm spamming on here since that's not my intention, but anyone interested in picking up one of those cameras can hit me up privately and I can definitely setup a discount for anyone on this forum. I'm pretty new to reef tanks since I haven't had one since 13 yrs ago and my roommate used to help me when I did have one at the time. My brother hooked me up with a lot of hand-me-down's in order to start my own tank and I'm sure I'll be on here getting help from many of you. It's the least I can do and save you some money on some cameras and help educate you guys on how to set them up or how they work since you guys always assist everyone on their reef tanks! :)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back