How To Silent External Overflow

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been messing around with my Eshopps Eclipse overflow box and I can't get the overflow silent. Sound is coming from two locations:

Overflow Box
I've tried increasing the height of the secondary drain, but I can still hear a trickle on the wet side of the box.

20180804_122524.jpg

20180804_122535.jpg

20180711_225049.jpg

Secondary Drain
Lots of air going through my secondary drain into the sump. Causes that fish store sound. The drain line is 1" or less below the surface

20180804_122600.jpg

20180804_122543.jpg

Any suggestion on either of these problems would be appreciated!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you raise the water level in the outside box, the inside box noise should go away. I had the same issue with mine. You have to get it so that the water level is over the opening of the bulkhead going into the outside box. the airspace in the bulkhead is where you're noise is coming from. as far as the secondary drain, have you tried messing with your gate valve? If its sucking air on your secondary then perhaps your primary is to restricted?

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs Mcjones I hear you. I'm a little hesitant to raise the display level as it's already pretty high. Thoughts?

20180804_125114.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs Mcjones I can give it a shot. This is my first time using a bean animal overflow. Would I restrict the primary (full siphon) too raise that level?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs Mcjones So I stopped the secondary drain sound, but not the trickle on the wet side of the overflow box.

Right now, if I restrict the primary any more, too much water starts going down the secondary causing even more sound. I'm honestly not sure what do here lol.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs Mcjones So I stopped the secondary drain sound, but not the trickle on the wet side of the overflow box.

Right now, if I restrict the primary any more, too much water starts going down the secondary causing even more sound. I'm honestly not sure what do here lol.
Did you raise the water level in the outside box? the water level in the outside box will match the inside box, and the less the water has to fall the quieter it'll be.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty dang high lol

20180804_164608.jpg

The water level outside is not in line with inside the wet side of the box. Would increasing the return pump power solve this?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty dang high lol

20180804_164608.jpg
Not the level in the display tank, the level in the overflow box, where your bean animal overflow is. Its kind of hard to explain.
Untitled.jpg
So in this picture the long black line is your tank wall. the red box is the inside overflow box, the blue box is the exterior box where your plumbing is. the green line is your water level. You want to raise it so that the water in the red box (inside the tank) doesn't have to fall as much, the less the fall the less the noise this is adjusted by your gate valves on your primary and secondary drains:) I hope this helps explain it better ;)

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. I believe right now, I may have to add height to my secondary drain. It will be a little higher than I'd like but it should work.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to say that in part it is a design flaw in this overflow. The external box sits too far down which makes raising the water level problematic. I get that they drop it down to clear any tank trim/rim, but it then creates the trickling noise problem. Based on the pictures in the original post, I'd not recommend raising the external box level any more than that. Otherwise you run the risk of the back up drains not starting before the box overflows.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to say that in part it is a design flaw in this overflow. The external box sits too far down which makes raising the water level problematic. I get that they drop it down to clear any tank trim/rim, but it then creates the trickling noise problem. Based on the pictures in the original post, I'd not recommend raising the external box level any more than that. Otherwise you run the risk of the back up drains not starting before the box overflows.

Interesting. Is there a workaround option? Would perhaps adding some amount of filter floss be a safe method to reduce the sound?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the overflow come with a cover like Retro said, on either or both of the sides?
I would not put any floss in there, it will clog and eventually lead to a flood dilemma.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same exact issue with my Planet Aquarium Tideline overflow that designed almost identical to yours. I've got a Varios 6 pump that i had been running at 58%. This caused too much water to flow into the tank and raised the level of water on the weirs which was causing a waterfall inside. Once I turned the pump down it lowered the level and the noise immediately went away. I'd been dealing with this for 6 months and was seriously considering replacing the tank with one that had an internal box. I've got the drain set so the level in the external box is probably just slightly higher than yours. That way it keeps a higher level on the internal box. I'd maybe suggest replacing the red emergency pipe with one slightly longer so you can get a little more water height on the outside.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Is there a workaround option? Would perhaps adding some amount of filter floss be a safe method to reduce the sound?

You'd have to do surgery on the external box. I did this on one. Basically I glued a new piece of acrylic over the face of the box that goes against the tank and then redrilled the bulkhead holes lower down in the box. It's a poor design for trim less tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back