How to Start Your Tank RIGHT! Cycling a Tank The Top Shelf Way!

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In this video Blaine and Taras teach you how we cycle our tanks here at TSA. From dry and empty to filled with the foundations of life, we take you through the entire process of getting a tank started and planning for its future!

Have a cycling experience you want to share? Think we missed out on something you know? Want to determine what goes in our studio tanks? Leave us a comment!

Be sure to like, subscribe, and hit the bell notification!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on minute five so far and you’ve done a great job so far well done :)

a specific aspect I like: none of this dosing a tank to 2 ppm ammonia

I dont do that in my cycles either, it’s a bandwagon we need to move past in my opinion for a few reasons. A simple Molly is fine, the bacteria added protect him just fine. There’s no ethical issue with bac + Molly cycling

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this video Blaine and Taras teach you how we cycle our tanks here at TSA. From dry and empty to filled with the foundations of life, we take you through the entire process of getting a tank started and planning for its future!

Have a cycling experience you want to share? Think we missed out on something you know? Want to determine what goes in our studio tanks? Leave us a comment!

Be sure to like, subscribe, and hit the bell notification!

I’d add a caution about temperature to be honest. In a new system depending on how it’s controlled it can be all over the shop. Where’s the light for the algae, did I miss it? I do particularly like the multiple bacteria sources and embracing the uglies. Nice vid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cycling is a process and does not have to be specific for many. A cycle is simple- Two steps with ammonia rising and falling then achieving steady zero for ammonia and 20 or below for nitrates steady for 5 days or so. Does not have to be a scientific or difficult task where one pulls their hair out or get stressed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back