How to stop coralline from bleaching

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I got some rock fresh from the ocean with some beautiful coralline algae on it but I'm concerned that I might experience bleaching due to my crappy light...(it's a FOWLR so lighting isn't as important as it would be for a reef tank). It's a 30 watt light and has two settings which let you choose between white light and blue lighting. I heard the blue is where the "par" comes from which is what the coralline needs to keep its color vibrant so should I have the blues on for at least part of the day or is should the white light be just as good since it contains all wavelengths? It's also close enough to a window to receive some natural light but how much is what I'm not sure about. If it does bleach will the color return after buying a new light? I know coralline doesn't need high light but what should I do if I notice the start of bleaching?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With proper lighting coraline will grow on its own. With not enough light it won't. Natural light isn't usually a good thing as it promotes algae growth also.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With proper lighting coraline will grow on its own. With not enough light it won't. Natural light isn't usually a good thing as it promotes algae growth also.
How strong does the lighting need to be though? Will lighting for soft corals work or does it need to be more intense like SPS lighting?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How strong does the lighting need to be though? Will lighting for soft corals work or does it need to be more intense like SPS lighting?
Soft coral lighting would be fine. Coraline even grows in the shaded areas of my tank.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral lighting would be fine. Coraline even grows in the shaded areas of my tank.
Ok, on the one hand I hate to have to buy a new light, on the other I'd hate to have this coralline lose its color...since low lighting sounds like it's ok, I'll leave it how it is for now

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the box the light came in...do you by chance recognize it?

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_211159.jpg
    IMG_20211214_211159.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 34

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the box the light came in...do you by chance recognize it?
Sorry I don't. From a quick search it does at least advertise that it is usable for coral. Being only 30w I wouldn't try any corals that require high lighting.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't. From a quick search it does at least advertise that it is usable for coral. Being only 30w I wouldn't try any corals that require high lighting.
Thanks for taking the time to do a quick search...That's what I love about this site, users actually care enough to try to offer genuine help and advice!

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is somewhat important for coralline but just as important will be alk and ca stability. Since it's a Fowler tank, not sure how much you plan on monitoring those two, but thought it would be good to mention. Regular water changes would sustain adequate levels.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is somewhat important for coralline but just as important will be alk and ca stability. Since it's a Fowler tank, not sure how much you plan on monitoring those two, but thought it would be good to mention. Regular water changes would sustain adequate levels.
I appreciate the reminder...since it's a new tank I've been doing small water changes every few days and I make sure to use quality salt (red sea) and control the nitrates as well

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should be running only the blues for part of the day or should the white light be adequate?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you let it touch air, it's probably toast.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquaknight A029, I have 2 currently running. What are you running the whites and blues at? And what kind of tank?
It's a FOWLR tank so no coral just several species of coralline algae...tbh I think mine might be a knock off since I can choose only between the blues or whites and the buttons only dim the light...I live in Bangkok so this wouldn't be a huge surprise if it was a knockoff.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run both lights you will be fine.
I have coralline growing in my frag tank sump. The sump is open and only gets indirect light.
It will grow with your current light system. You can always upgrade later. The old black box leds grow coral and coralline very well.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run both lights you will be fine.
I have coralline growing in my frag tank sump. The sump is open and only gets indirect light.
It will grow with your current light system. You can always upgrade later. The old black box leds grow coral and coralline very well.
Great! I'm relieved to hear that!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I haven't heard that before...why can encrusting corals touch air during fragging and not be affected then?

The best answer I can give is that coral is not algae. Coral will slime to protect itself when exposed to air.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a FOWLR tank so no coral just several species of coralline algae...tbh I think mine might be a knock off since I can choose only between the blues or whites and the buttons only dim the light...I live in Bangkok so this wouldn't be a huge surprise if it was a knockoff.
From the box, it's the real deal lol The touch buttons lower the intensity by 10% for each push. I have mine running at 100% blues, 20-30% white (20 for coral, 30 for anemones). So 20% white is 8 button presses after you've gotten the light to be 100% white (one button press after the whites are off entirely)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back