How to stop coralline from bleaching

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should be running only the blues for part of the day or should the white light be adequate?
I think it needs some blue but it's just from observation and no science.

If coralline is in air, yes it'll likely die, but in my experience it comes back fast with the right water parameters. Once it gets going, you'll get sick of how fast it grows and how you have to scrape the tank walls weekly.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I haven't heard that before...why can encrusting corals touch air during fragging and not be affected then?

It can touch air and not die. I have a pvc pipe with magnets glued to it, and I use that to hold my nori on. I take it out daily to wrap some new nori on it, and the coraline grows like crazy on it.

However, it can't stay out of the water for very long, which is probably what promoted people to post. About 2 weeks ago, I took it out of the water and I left it out for about 20-30 minutes I guess due to getting distracted. It was all bleached the next day. It is already growing back though, and quickly. Usually it's only out of the water for about 2-3 minutes.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can touch air and not die. I have a pvc pipe with magnets glued to it, and I use that to hold my nori on. I take it out daily to wrap some new nori on it, and the coraline grows like crazy on it.

However, it can't stay out of the water for very long, which is probably what promoted people to post. About 2 weeks ago, I took it out of the water and I left it out for about 20-30 minutes I guess due to getting distracted. It was all bleached the next day. It is already growing back though, and quickly. Usually it's only out of the water for about 2-3 minutes.
That's what I thought...if the bleaching was evident the next day or two, then I'm not worried that mine may have been mishandled after collection because I haven't noticed any dramatic bleaching in the week or so that I've had it...I think some of the rock is just adjusting to different lighting and because of this is slowly fading a little (that's what I gathered from research and it makes sense)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back