How to stop the gurgle of an overflow?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my Lifereef sump and overflow all filled with water and running! It took me so so so long to do. I definitely overthought everything and called Jeff one too many times lol. I mean that is why he is there and I know he enjoys talking to people. But there is one major issue no matter what I do the tubing and output is filled with air bubbles and creates this extremely loud gurgling sound. I have the silencer on. Is this normal with a HOB overflow? How do I solve this issue? I tried to let it drain and turn the return pump down with no luck.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Lifereef sump and overflow all filled with water and running! It took me so so so long to do. I definitely overthought everything and called Jeff one too many times lol. I mean that is why he is there and I know he enjoys talking to people. But there is one major issue no matter what I do the tubing and output is filled with air bubbles and creates this extremely loud gurgling sound. I have the silencer on. Is this normal with a HOB overflow? How do I solve this issue? I tried to let it drain and turn the return pump down with no luck.
I have a Cade tank, setup is you got a overflow with a valve to adjust and next to it is the emergency overflow.
I played around for month to adjust the valve on the overflow to make it silent(closing it) just for a couple of weeks to be at a different level and not skimming the surface, so i had to open it a bit again. Now i have the valve further shut so i have no gurgeling but the waterlevel is just high enough to overflow a tiny bit into the emergency overflow and therefore skimming the water.
Check if you got a valve on your overflow pipe, close this until the water in your overflowbox is higher, that should stop your gurgel. If you got a emergency overflowpipe shut the overflow pipe valve until your water just flows into the emergency one.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a hole in the cap of the silencer and ran airline tubing down the drain line. There will be a spot in the drain line where air is collecting, you need to run the airline down till you find the trapped air. Cut the end of the airline on an angle to create more open area in the tube then work it all the way down the drain. Slowly start pulling it back up very small bits at a time. You should hear the noise stop and see bubbling in the sump slow way down or stop as well. That will be where the air was trapped which now has a path to escape through the tube.
It takes time and patience to dial in but it works!

EDIT: Just saw the tubing in your silencer. Keep playing with that. My line is SUPER long prob twice the distance to the bottom of the sump, I just curled up the extra line on top. It took me a good week of adjusting, I would find the spot one day then the next day need to adjust. Finally it stabilized and quited down.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Cade tank, setup is you got a overflow with a valve to adjust and next to it is the emergency overflow.
I played around for month to adjust the valve on the overflow to make it silent(closing it) just for a couple of weeks to be at a different level and not skimming the surface, so i had to open it a bit again. Now i have the valve further shut so i have no gurgeling but the waterlevel is just high enough to overflow a tiny bit into the emergency overflow and therefore skimming the water.
Check if you got a valve on your overflow pipe, close this until the water in your overflowbox is higher, that should stop your gurgel. If you got an emergency overflowpipe shut the overflow pipe valve until your water just flows into the emergency one.
Awesome thanks.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the look of your video, its making the gurgle sound because you have air falling into the overflow box and its being sucked up with the water. its the air bubbles in the line making the gurgle noise.
you need to get it so its just pulling water and not strong enough to pull air with it, maybe seems like you're pushing too much flow through it.
Id maybe try slowing the flow down at your return pump. and see if that helps.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from the look of your video, its making the gurgle sound because you have air falling into the overflow box and its being sucked up with the water. its the air bubbles in the line making the gurgle noise.
you need to get it so its just pulling water and not strong enough to pull air with it, maybe seems like you're pushing too much flow through it.
Id maybe try slowing the flow down at your return pump. and see if that helps.
I got the air out and redid it. It’s much quieter now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back