Using Plexi Glass to Raise my Overflow

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I set up my first reef tank recently and I did everything DIY to save some money including drilling my own tank and installing my own overflow. The issue I'm having is the overflow is lower than the rim of my tank so i can see the water line which I dont like. I want to essentially raise the overflow grate using a piece of plexi glass, the only problem is my tank is filled and I have 2 clowns living in there a the moment.

What should I use to attach the plexi that will cure underwater? Super glue? Or maybe some JB Weld WaterWeld?

Also, is this the best attack plan to raise my water line behind the rim so I dont see it?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how much you need to raise, could mean there is more than 1 solution.
I would lower the water level so you get a a semi dry surface to bond. Will also help with exposing your livestock to any harmful chemicals. You can use chip clips to hold the pieces together while they cure.
Depending on how thick your overflow is you could also drill holes and use nylon screws and nuts to attach the new panel

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back