how to store soda ash from 2 part recipe

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought a 6kg bag of baking soda I want to turn to soda ash. how deep can the baking soda be when baking? ( ideally want to put it all in a deep dish pan 2inch? instead of 3/4 separate pans) what/s the max depth if any?

and for the following storage of soda ash, its ok to just put it all in a ziplock bag for long term? it wont revert back or something over time right? (years)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how long for storage or how deep you can bake it at. But I usually do mine a few cups at a time wich gives me about one month of dosing at the moment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be as deep as you want, but like a turkey, bigger means it takes longer to reach the needed temps deep inside.

Ziplock bag is good, but CO2 can slowly enter. More bag layers gives longer protection.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be as deep as you want, but like a turkey, bigger means it takes longer to reach the needed temps deep inside.

Ziplock bag is good, but CO2 can slowly enter. More bag layers gives longer protection.
Can you vacuum seal after each use?

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vacuum seal is probably preferred.
ive divided my large bag into 80% and roughly 20% for shorter term use. double ziplocked the 20% short term, and double ziplocked, plastic wrapped, and plastic bagged the longer term one.

i also baked for nearly 3 hours as my layer was thicker. I read a cooking post about baking soda > soda ash and it recommended 2-5 hours @ 300. ( a commenter mentioned 2 hours would be more than enough )
another way for others to determine how long to bake for is by product weight loss but i dont have a scale myself to be certain.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind we are thinking years here. A simple ziplock or even a twist tie bag is fine for weeks, certainly. This is more of a theoretical discussion than a useful one for ordinary reefers.

I do not think vacuum sealing will help much.

Vacuum will remove the CO2 from the air in the bag, but it won't prevent, and might even slightly accelerate the penetration of CO2. There's very little CO2 actually in the bag on day 1.

But the quality of bag (thickness and specific polymer structure) matters, and perhaps vacuum bags themselves are thicker and more resistant to CO2 entry over years.

This has more:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back