How to tell how high your nitrates and phosphates are without test kits

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so this thread was started because I just started a new reef tank (which is about 1 and a half months old) it, all of a sudden, started to grow huge amounts of hair algae all over the rocks. It literally grew in one day. That got me thinking "is there any method that I can use to Guage nitrates and phosphates?"

Now now, before you start with the shaming and booing of why I don't have a test kit... I live in south africa and we are in a second lockdown. Our government has classified reefing gear as" non essential " and therefore all the lfses are closed and my salifert test kits were expired.

I was wondering if any of the" reefing gurus" could chime in on there thoughts or even share personal experiences. ;Pompus

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae growth can be an indicator that you have enough (or more than enough), but the reverse is not true since other things may limit algae growth.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks that LFS aren't considered essential where you live.
If there was a reliable way to test Nitrate and Phosphate, the test kit companies would go broke.
Maybe reefers with tons of experience can 'read' it in their corals, but that would be rare.
If you can get ahold of some vibrant, thats a good place to start.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back