How to trigger ammonia spike in new 38 G tank

reefnewbee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up my first 38 G tank week ago and still waiting for ammonia level in my tank to rise. I already have done 50% water change today to prevent diatom algae bloom. Adding fish to tank to speed up cycle, is not an option for me. Is there any other simple way to trigger ammonia spike?

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a dead, un cooked shrimp (from the seafood department) in a pantyhose/stocking and hang it in the tank for a few days-a week, that should do it. You can also put pure ammonia in the tank, I believe you can get this at a home improvement store (I have not done this before).

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also add flaked fish food into the tank.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all Welcome to reef2reef.

I would either use a raw table shrimp, or feed the tank some flake food as if you were feeding a fish or two in the tank. I wouldn't do any water changes while you are trying to cycle the tank. It will just remove some of the "pollutants" that you are trying to build up bacteria cultures to deal with.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used pure ammonia. Just make sure you buy the one without any surfactants. If it bubbles when you shake it, it has soap in it, and you don't want that in your tank. Worked like a charm and no dead smell.

OP
OP
R

reefnewbee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your response. I will start with flake food first, if doesn't work, will try shrimp approach. I did not want to change water in middle of the cycle but it turned yellowish and murky along with first sign of brown powdery algae in the tank/sump. Hence took a bookish approach. Did I do wrong?

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get diatoms in a new tank. Let it run its course. Don't do anymore water changes until your cycle is done, water changes will only prolong the process. You can throw in a cube of frozen food to get the ammonia going.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used pure ammonia. Just make sure you buy the one without any surfactants. If it bubbles when you shake it, it has soap in it, and you don't want that in your tank. Worked like a charm and no dead smell.

For some reason it's impossible to get plain ammonia in my area and the bottle's labeling would lead one to believe it is plain. Sitting next to the scented ammonia on the shelf helps the impression.

Anyway, if anyone else tries this method make sure you read the label and find something that indicates no additives! It won't be marked "sudsy ammonia" or anything instructive.

Wonder if a pharmacy could be a good alt. source since very little would be needed?

-Matt

Gladfelter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cycled my new 125. It was good in 11 days. Added first fish in 18. No problems to report.

No water changes until Nitrates are way up. I started the cycle by adding an entire pack of the frozen brine shrimp cubes and letting it go. It worked wonders. And it only costs $4

typicaltony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know of someone with a sw tank, you can ask for their skimmate and dump that into your sump to start up..

Gladfelter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya I got water change water from ny other tank to and put that in while filling.up to

OP
OP
R

reefnewbee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started "Feeding tank" with flake food, waiting for results. Thank you all for your suggestions.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason it's impossible to get plain ammonia in my area and the bottle's labeling would lead one to believe it is plain. Sitting next to the scented ammonia on the shelf helps the impression.

Anyway, if anyone else tries this method make sure you read the label and find something that indicates no additives! It won't be marked "sudsy ammonia" or anything instructive.

Wonder if a pharmacy could be a good alt. source since very little would be needed?

-Matt

I found mine at Ace hardware. The grocery store ones all have additives.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The site that taught the method said to shake the bottle to be sure. If it bubbles at all, it has additives.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back