How to use 6 in 1 water monitoring system?

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a six in one monitoring system, mainly for pH, temp and SG. Not really sure what to do with the other three. I assume salinity is the same as SG for this purpose. Can anyone help me with what conductivity and TDS are for in reef keeping and the significance of monitoring them?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conductivity can be used to measure salinity, which is pretty much the #1 to watch in reef keeping. And tds can be kinda a tricky thing to nail down to its importance. Total dissolved solids is something you check in your rodi water to make sure everything in the system is working. But there are also people that don't even use rodi water so that's up to you to decide if it's worth measuring. I use rodi and don't measure tds. I just replace my rodi filters every 6 months and my ro membrane every 12.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a six in one. It is a three in one: temp, conductivity, and pH, the others are just unit conversions on the conductivity to other units such as specific gravity. I do not recommend using any conversions it does since it may not do them correctly because it does not know if you are in fresh water or seawater.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these. Basically it's 3 pH, temp and salinity. I love mine. Surprisingly consistent. The other 3 parameters are just repeats. There's another version that does orp too

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back