How/what to feed a flounder in QT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I actually have a question of my own! :eek:

Anyone here have experience quarantining flounders?? I currently have one in QT (with sand), and I've tried target feeding him chunks of LRS, PE mysis, etc. but no dice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps, but while halibut fishing we have herring on a hook with a large weight and we bounce the weight off the ocean floor to get there attention to entice feeding.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I actually have a question of my own! :eek:

Anyone here have experience quarantining flounders?? I currently have one in QT (with sand), and I've tried target feeding him chunks of LRS, PE mysis, etc. but no dice.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I have ever only QTd one. I used copper and it ate my normal frozen Blend which includes LRS, mysis, bloodworms, brine, etc. It’s been a while back and I can’t remember if it was eating live brine or not. I QTd it in a small 20g with a couple sissy wrasse! :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, ambush bottom feeders. Live food that moves, brine shrimp, shrimp, guppies or a hunk of clam on a tiny barbless hook dangled in front of it?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! It will be interesting to see how long ghost shrimp last in copper water. :eek:

Or there is this one black molly that's been ******* me off... :D
Haha! How big is this flounder?!

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! It will be interesting to see how long ghost shrimp last in copper water. :eek:

Or there is this one black molly that's been ******* me off... :D
Maybe you can put the shrimp and flounder in an acclimated box if hes small enough so he finds the shrimp before it dies. Its hes too big for an acclimation box, try putting a spare 10G in your QT and put the flounder and some shrimp in there.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question... why in the world do you have a flounder? Are you venturing into the fresh seafood business? Lol

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question... why in the world do you have a flounder? Are you venturing into the fresh seafood business? Lol
They are actually really cool to watch. They don’t act much like a fish. I’d compare them to the most gigantic flatworm you have ever seen :)

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually really cool to watch. They don’t act much like a fish. I’d compare them to the most gigantic flatworm you have ever seen :)
Ok, well there's my googling topic for tonight!! I gotta see this. Lol

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to snap a pic of "The Kraken" the next time he emerges from the sand. When my wife saw it for the first time she exclaimed, "That thing is nasty!" :p

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to snap a pic of "The Kraken" the next time he emerges from the sand. When my wife saw it for the first time she exclaimed, "That thing is nasty!" :p
One of them made me $600 richer. I tossed a borrowed dollar into the pot on a fishing boat. I caught the second largest fish if they day, but the other person never paid in.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone.

BTW, it's a Hogchoker (Trinectes maculatus). I got it to eat PE mysis once. My biggest problem is figuring out where it's buried. :rolleyes:

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 73 52.9%
  • NO

Votes: 42 30.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back