How would you read these Salifert tests?

DiscoStuart

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 20, 2025
Messages
273
Reaction score
82
Location
Cambridge, UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting used to Salifert tests and wanted to see what people thought:

I'd say 1.5 (maybe a bit below) on ammonia.

Screenshot 2025-03-07 at 08.22.06.png


But I'm struggling with this one on pH. darker than 8.0, but a bit more blue, at least to my eye! Maybe 8.2?

Screenshot 2025-03-07 at 08.22.44.png
And
 
Not sure how much trust I would put in the PH test as PH is not easy to get an accurate result even with expensive ph probes, whist I rate salifert as one of the best test kits to buy for all most all tests, you have chosen the 2 tests that even salifert struggle with, ph and ammonia, there isn’t imo a good test for either with any brand of test kits, for ph you probably need a probe to get a good ph result and Seachem ammonia is probably the better ammonia test, with them all not being great.
 
Not sure how much trust I would put in the PH test as PH is not easy to get an accurate result even with expensive ph probes, whist I rate salifert as one of the best test kits to buy for all most all tests, you have chosen the 2 tests that even salifert struggle with, ph and ammonia, there isn’t imo a good test for either with any brand of test kits, for ph you probably need a probe to get a good ph result and Seachem ammonia is probably the better ammonia test, with them all not being great.
On pH, I've got a probe coming to use with my Apex (got the unit/power bar used). Ammonia I've got an alert badge which suggests close to zero.

What would you suggest for ammonia testing in a QT / hospital tank? Seachem badge? Seachem tests? other?
 
On pH, I've got a probe coming to use with my Apex (got the unit/power bar used). Ammonia I've got an alert badge which suggests close to zero.

What would you suggest for ammonia testing in a QT / hospital tank? Seachem badge? Seachem tests? other?
Yes Seachem, both for a qt tank are probably the best options…
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new