How you do you cycle your rocks ?

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , question I just finished my aquascape for my IM Nuvo 25 lagoon. The tank has yet to arrive so my question is how do I go about cycling my dry rock so it’s ready for when it comes ?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the dead rock to a trash can full of saltwater and put in a powerhead. Then, throw in some live rock from an established tank to seed it. I’d throw in a little food once in a while also.

People use bottled bacteria these days instead of live rock, but it will be rough sailing in the beginning.

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the dead rock to a trash can full of saltwater and put in a powerhead. Then, throw in some live rock from an established tank to seed it. I’d throw in a little food once in a while also.

People use bottled bacteria these days instead of live rock, but it will be rough sailing in the beginning.
What if I don’t have any live rock ? Would I need to get a piece from my LFS ? Trying to avoid any and all type is pest/diseases getting to my new setup.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need live rock to seed, it just speeds up the process or if it's from the ocean, adds some biodiversity. Make up some saltwater, add heat and flow, add rocks, toss in a shrimp or fish food and let it sit until you are ready, about a month. Keep it in the dark to avoid algae growth. If you wanted to set up sooner you can buy some bottled bac like Bio Spira and stock almost immediately.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most local fish stores around me (Dallas) have wet rock from tank tear downs.

I’m not the best person to advise you on starting a tank with dead rock.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking for? If you want the rock to become alive, you will need light, good water quality and some seeder rock or microfauna pack. If you just want some bacteria on the rock, then some bottles can do this.

IPSF has diversity packs for sale, or you can often get small starter packs of rock from the Florida live rock harvesters. Rock from a pet store can be trick since some of it might just be wet and not full of life... but they also can have great rock with lots of critters and coralline. A few bucks on some of this rock can save you much more money later fighting nasty things.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've started the cycle on dry rock a couple times and used bottle bacteria. I like Dr. Tim's One and Only. Just my personal preference.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , question I just finished my aquascape for my IM Nuvo 25 lagoon. The tank has yet to arrive so my question is how do I go about cycling my dry rock so it’s ready for when it comes ?
Put your rock into a bin full of salt water and add a bottle of bacteria. The bacteria will grow on the rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back