Hows my parameters

Joes Front Teeth

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive lost a couple of heads on my frogspawn over the last few weeks, noticed this morning one of my torch heads is receding. Im dosing all for reef at 12ml per day, but notcie my Kh is at 6.8, its normally around 7.5, coyld this be the reason for losing some of the heads. Tank is a 20 Gallon cube.
d7ed1dc3-ce9e-44c3-8611-66c974d1c4e0.jpg
672eb6fe-6159-47d9-9c18-07cbe9cd8fae.jpg
 
The alk is definitely low but I'm not sure if thats the main cause, I think you will be seeing some coral warfare very soon, and it may even be the reason for those lost polyps. Beautiful tank!
 
I would very much say alkinity is the issue, always stay above 7, Maintain natural see water levels 7 above, safe zone 8/9 or control ph Above 8.2, Alkalinty is the one you want to concentrate on as it is that one that can change overnight. Ph at @8.3 above...Alk will always be tops 😉

Agree with Pistondog...bring po4 up, feed more frozen without rinsing more regular😉


Think of your Torch coral (Duncan Also) A cannaray your tank 😉They will always let you know when something not right!
 
Last edited:
I would very much say alkinity is the issue, always stay above 7, Maintain natural see water levels, or higher dkh between 7/ 9 or control ph Above 8.2, Alkalinty is the one you want to concentrate on as it is that one that can change overnight. Ph at @8.3 above...Alk will always be tops 😉

Agree with Pistondog...bring po4 up, feed more frozen without rinsing 😉
Thanks, have increased my all for reef doser upto 14ml per day. Hopefully that will raise my alk up a bit more. Will keep an eye on it over the next 4 or 5 days and hopefully will level out at around 7.5 to 8.
 
The alk is definitely low but I'm not sure if thats the main cause, I think you will be seeing some coral warfare very soon, and it may even be the reason for those lost polyps. Beautiful tank!
Thanks, have increased my all for reef dosing by a couple of ml per day, hopefully that will sort my Alk out.
Whybdo you think i will see some coral warfare soon?
 
I would very much say alkinity is the issue, always stay above 7, Maintain natural see water levels 7 above, safe zone 8/9 or control ph Above 8.2, Alkalinty is the one you want to concentrate on as it is that one that can change overnight. Ph at @8.3 above...Alk will always be tops 😉

Agree with Pistondog...bring po4 up, feed more frozen without rinsing more regular😉


Think of your Torch coral (Duncan Also) A cannaray your tank 😉They will always let you know when something not right!
Thank you, i have increased all for reef dosing by a couple of ml a day, will see how much that lifts my Alk, yes, torch is a good Canary and will generalky let me know if something is wrong. Im already feeding unwashed frozen, maybe should leave my water changes to every other week instead of every Sunday.
 
Thanks, have increased my all for reef doser upto 14ml per day. Hopefully that will raise my alk up a bit more. Will keep an eye on it over the next 4 or 5 days and hopefully will level out at around 7.5 to 8.
Slow down, Coreect your imbalancies first!.

I have a 1000ltr reef irrellevent to this post. I also have a 160ltr cube hence my reply, i also dose afr in the cube.
My auto top off has 10grams of dissolved bicarbonate within top off every seven days to maintain alkalinty.
 
Thanks, have increased my all for reef doser upto 14ml per day. Hopefully that will raise my alk up a bit more. Will keep an eye on it over the next 4 or 5 days and hopefully will level out at around 7.5 to 8.
Slow down, Coreect your imbalancies first!.

I have a 1000ltr reef irrellevent to this post. I also have a 160ltr cube hence my reply, i also dose afr in the cube.
My auto top off has 10grams of dissolved bicarbonate within top off every seven days to maintain alkalinty.
Ive always used afr to control my alk, generally this should keep other elements in check too. Ive not been testing often enough lately hence seeing a slump in my Alk today.
So on your cube you are dosing afr and buffering your alk with bicarb, am not sure I understand why you would do both, as afr is designed to manage your Alk first and foremost from what i have read, im open to ideas and maybe not experienced enough to realise the science behind doing both, everyday is a school day in this hobby!
 
Ive always used afr to control my alk, generally this should keep other elements in check too. Ive not been testing often enough lately hence seeing a slump in my Alk today.
So on your cube you are dosing afr and buffering your alk with bicarb, am not sure I understand why you would do both, as afr is designed to manage your Alk first and foremost from what i have read, im open to ideas and maybe not experienced enough to realise the science behind doing both, everyday is a school day in this hobby!
Im old skool, Im a Kalkwasser, three part reefer,, the cheapest way to dose. Sayin that, I use afr on a 160ltr cube but alkalinty was and never was balanced. I drop a teaspoon of bicarb in my top off weekly(vol avg 10ltrs i think) and dose 16ml afr twice per day.
 
Ive always used afr to control my alk, generally this should keep other elements in check too. Ive not been testing often enough lately hence seeing a slump in my Alk today.
So on your cube you are dosing afr and buffering your alk with bicarb, am not sure I understand why you would do both, as afr is designed to manage your Alk first and foremost from what i have read, im open to ideas and maybe not experienced enough to realise the science behind doing both, everyday is a school day in this hobby!
Im old skool, Im a Kalkwasser, three part reefer,, the cheapest way to dose. Sayin that, I use afr on a 160ltr cube but alkalinty was and never was balanced. I drop a teaspoon of bicarb in my top off weekly(vol avg 10ltrs i think) and dose 16ml afr twice per day.
Would love to see a pic of the cube, not sure I could cope with the bicarb on my auto top off. Presumably nothing wrong with raising my afr dose by a couple of ml
 
Appearances can be decieving. Dismantle this week my friend. Aptasia, Vermatid snails. A new rebuild to combat pests
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new